What do you think about Siberian huskys as a pet? (we have a one year old)

lonelymom911

Asked by lonelymom911 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Pets

• i think it would be fine. any dog can make a great family pet. and can be taught to play gently around kids.
    bare121807

Answer by bare121807 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• it really depends on the dog and the owner- We acquired an adult husky when my oldest was still a baby. The dog had no interest in the baby BUT our cat had kittens and we lost two of them to the husky. The husky also while we were out one day knocked over my parrots cage and killed it. So they are predators by nature, it was like her sport was to catch small animals. The only consolation is that I saw her get the second kitten and she went straight for the throat- so I know none of them were in pain for long.

My baby was never ever ever left unattended while the dog was in the house. I may be biased against them because of my experience, I don't know how this dog was raised a s a puppy.

A friend of ours had another one that we kept at our hosue while he was job hunting. this one stayed outside. he had a much sweeter disposition- would never jump at the kids, but loved their attention- but he attacked our ducks- we lost
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 6:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• 3 of 5 of our ducks to him- one got to close to his chain, and the other two had no chance, he broke his chain.
    LuckyClown

• We have a Siberian Husky who is 3 and love him! He is great with our 2 1/2 year old daughter. He was less than a year old when we brought her home from the hospital and he's been great with her. He was whinning one day when she was crying and I was in the shower. He is protective, not too rough and she treats him like her brother! He does have genetic problems (he's going blind and his nose is constantly peeling). We also have a Golden Retriever who is 1. She's not as good with our daughter. She's not as careful with her. It is almost the opposite of what you would expect.
    lizzyh

Answer by lizzyh at 6:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• If you get a dog, get them as a puppy that way you can ensure the puppy is raised right. I wouldn't get an adult dog, because you do not know their temperament. (such as a previous posters experience).

We have a pit bull, she came to us at 6 months old. She's huge lol. She is awesome with my daughter, and family. She rarely barks, doesn't bite, and is just a giant lap dog.

When we were kids our friends bread husky's. they are awesome, beautiful animals. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• We rescued one, and he was the best dog we ever had. I still miss him, he passed 3 years ago. I would have another one today if I could.
    Anonymous

• My grandma has always kept huskies until passing away in 07. Since I was a kid, I had respect for them, had to because they weren't so interested in playing with us. They were tolerant of us kids, but never outwardly "excited" to see us... they'd more or less run and hide, or lay under the table at grandma's feet.

The last husky she had before passing, Topaz, came to live with our family in the country. Talk about a loveable dog. Only real problem we had was that while he was in the house we had to keep the cat and my little dog penned up in a separate room so he could lay out... wasn't fair, but had to be done because he'd kill them in a matter of seconds. The bigger dogs he got along with well.

I know that as big and cuddly as he was, he easily knocked over my youngest sister, 5 at the time, on purpose sometimes, to get what she had in her hands or to lick her face... was super aggrivating. Just be careful having
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:28 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• such a large dog with a young child. They can either play jungle-gym, or bully. Really depends on the dog, and you'll never know til you get him home. Just watch out that when he does get home that he doesn't become the bullying type, or that he's scared or intolerant of your baby. Don't care how pretty they are, you don't want one knocking your child down just walking by or squeezing in a lick in the face...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:30 AM on Mar. 27, 2009