• In the Spotlight:

Do you think it is bad to have a dog as an OUTSIDE pet?

lonelymom911

Asked by lonelymom911 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Pets

• no if you ask me dogs are ment to be outside. We have alittle dashound and shes primarly a outside dog unless its freezing cold or rainy then she comes in. She always sleeps in the house at night in her kennel but she prefers to be outside so she spends her days outside.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I think alot of people have outside dogs. do you have a large yard? live in the country? Will you be able to spend time with the dog?...if not it will be unruly and you won't enjoy it. what will you do in the winter?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• no not really. me personally i would have all of mine inside. like right now i have a chihuahau she's small-7lbs- and has to be an inside dog. we are eventually getting a husky. which is going to be inside as well as any other dog or animal we get. they are going to be trained to be inside pets. we ofcourse are going to have a big yard for them to play in. just depends really. my dad has a dog that is strictly outside. and he's fine.
    bare121807

Answer by bare121807 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Well, speaking from personal experience, I think it's sad our neighbor has a dog and it barks non-stop literally and it's so annoying. I don't think he gets walked much either or brushed his fur looks all tangled and dirty. He's even left out on really windy and cold days. IDK depends on the owner and if the dog is being cared for.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 5:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I think its sad when a dog lives outside.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Well we live in the country, surrounded by family and we live on a family farm. Were ALWAYS outside in the summer :)
    lonelymom911

Answer by lonelymom911 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I think it's fine, as long as he is properly cared for and has plenty of room to play. My dog is an outside only dog. He is out there 24/7, but we live in FL. I will put him in our garage if there is a nasty storm coming, like a tropical storm or hurricane, or if the backyard is flooding (happened once, before we got him), but that's it. He has straw in his doghouse for super cold nights, of which we get maybe 2 a yr, and I have a blanket I take out for him on those nights, too. We go out and play with him every day. So, I don't think it's bad.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I think it's cruel. Why have it and call it a pet? Pets are part of your family and live in your home. Would you allow your child to live outside? I couldn't do it. To me my dogs are like my children.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I think it is fine, but dogs are pack animals and need to be around the leader of their pack (meaning you the owner) so if they are outside you need to be alot too. Different breeds are easier to do this with too. And with extreme weather they should be allowed in.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• As long as they are well cared for out there. If you are going to get a dog and tie it up in the yard and forget about then yes, that is cruel. If you are going to give it a nice place to live, a nice doghouse for bad weather and shade from the sun, as well as ample water out there, and you feed it daily AND (this is the most important part) you make sure it gets good exercise and take it for walks daily, I think it's ok.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2009