what are some good games for a first grader on how to spell and write

see i am teaching a first grader how to spell and write she is very good but it seems she been getting bored with the things i am teaching her so can you give me some tips or games on how to make her more intrested in learning thank you so much

lily0115

Asked by lily0115 at 5:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Songs.

I taught my 2 year old to spell, learn his address and phone number, his parents names and anything else I could think of with tunes...

His name song was so cute! He'd sing as loud as he could..... My name is J-O-N , JON, I spell it and I won. J-O-N , JON.... I - want - ___________!".

He filled in the blanks with words like bananas, candy, drink, kisses, milk or whatever he was wanting at the time. Of course he got what ever he filled in the blank with... he was 2!

When he got older, the songs were a little longer or just the information.... when he was 4 he saw a policeman at the mall... walked right up to him and sung " 6-9-9-0-6-4-5 , 6-9-9-0-6-4-5, 6-9-9-0-6-4-5" over and over while he did some kind of 4 year old chicken dance, bobbing his head back and forth. I cracked up!! The policeman gave him a badge - and winked at me. LMAO still.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 5:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• www.noggin.com has some really neat printables.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• you could try playing games like hangman ETC. or maybe make her some word search puzzles and make it a little tricky by putting the words mispelled in there too and tell her she has to look really carefully.
    abygalesmom

Answer by abygalesmom at 4:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Scrabble. Have her journal, get a list of Word Wall words that she is learning in class and have her practice those. Ask her teacher for suggestions too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Noggin.com, pbskids.org both have some really good games. Also check into JumpStart games for the computer - they're ranked by grade level, but tend to the easier side, so read the description of the skills they cover more than the grade.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2009