How do you cook greens (collard, mustard, etc)?

How do you cook well-seasoned greens? I'm talking soul food style...

Mia1983

Asked by Mia1983 at 5:57 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Food & Drink

• let me call my aunt
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• after you clean the greens, put them in a pot of boiling water and let them cook until they are tender. i like to flavor mine with a little vinegar.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Clean them well to get rid of dirt/sand and bugs; I actually put a little vinegar in the sink to soak them. If you don't mind meat, boil a smoked turkey neck. (Mine are usually frozen so I put it on to boil first.) Rinse and chop up the greens, put them on to boil. Throw in some Lawry's Seasoning Salt, garlic and pepper, too. I also add a small amount of vinegar to make them less bitter, especially those collards! In my opinion, collards tend to need a little more time than mustard/kale to cook down/get tender. They should boil for about an hour to an hour and a half. (I also take out the turkey neck bones.) Enjoy!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 8:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I have a way but not sure if you would consider it soul food, more Italian Nana food. Put olive oil and garlic in a pan, add chopped potatoes until almost cooked, then add greens and cook until wilted. Add salt and pepper, Yummy!!! My grandma has also added sliced Italian sausage to it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Mm, mm, good! I might try YOUR recipe "tyfry7496." And, there are a handful of Soul Food masters (like my Aunt Jean) who fry collard greens. I'm not that talented, but I'll ask about that.
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 3:53 PM on Mar. 27, 2009