after pregnancy question (Tattoo's?)

So I know you can't get them during pregnancy that's a given. But what about while breastfeeding? How long should you wait? Sorry just love tattoos and can't wait to dedicate a part of my skin to my newest addition. Sorry if that's weird. lmao

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• its not weird. i wouldnt get one while breast feeding just in case there is a risk. maybe you can talk to your dr at the next appointment to make sure though
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• You don't have to wait to get one while breastfeeding. Its a myth. The ink only goes into the first 2-3 layers of your skin, and never enters the blood stream, so unless the tattoo were to get infected there is no risk to your baby.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• my dd was 11 days old when i got mine with her name on it but i was not BF i would wait until after that JUST IN CASE. the guy at my tattoo place said a woman came in and got one and her dog licked it soon after (not sure why) but she developed a staph infection
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 6:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The only risk to a baby while bf'ing is that if you contracted an illness like HIV or hepatitis through an unclean needle, those illnesses can be passed via breastmilk. I've actually been dying to get another tattoo but am going to wait to be done bf'ing. For myself, I think that the risk of HIV/hepatitis is so low that I am comfortable with it- I'll be going to a reputable place and do not have any real concerns about it. That being said, I don't think that my daughter should have to have ANY risk of contracting these illnesses because of breast milk, so based on that I will wait until she is done nursing.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:56 AM on Mar. 27, 2009