HOW CAN I GET MY 26MTH OLD TO GET UNINTERESTED IN THE BREAST?

I AM PREGNANT 1OWKS, AND MY DOCTOR HAS INFORMED ME THAT IT WOULD BE BETTER IF I STOPPED BFEEDING MY TODDLER SHE IS ALMOST 2 1/2 AND SHE IS STRAINING MY BODY BIG TIME,CAN ANYONE HELP WITH IDEAS OR ADVICE?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Unless you have a risk of pre term labor there is no need to quit breastfeeding. Many OB's are very ignorant to breastfeeding while pregnant, I wouldn't take his advice unless you have a medical issue.

If you want to wean, it should be gradual. By now she is probably eating solids right? Do you nurse for naptime and to get her to sleep at night still? If so, those are usually the last two feedings to go! You can slowly cut out all the other nursings, I don't know how many you have. Distract her, offer her snacks or other drinks etc. Try and go outside and do fun things during normal feedings for a distraction!

For naptime and bedtime you can read instead of nurse. We do that! My daughter self weaned though but reading definitely helped her get to sleep. It's our quiet time.

Good luck and good job for nursing so long!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• There is no reason to wean your toddler, unless you are at major risk of miscarriage and even then, that is a judgement call. Your body is used to the nipple stimulation, so it will not stimulate your uterus like nipple stimulation can at the end of pregnancy. Many women have nursed through pregnancy and then continue nursing the older child after the new one is here!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009