Clingy newborn.

My daughter is 3 weeks old and super clingy. If she is not completely asleep, she cannot be put down anywhere, not in a swing, bouncer, boppy, bassinet or anywhere. She absolutely has to be held when she's awake and sleeps right next to me at night. Please tell me this won't last forever! I'm ok with it now, as I know she's still very little, but I just can't deal with thinking this could go on and on! I can't get anything done! Is this just her personality? If you had a clingy newborn, did he/she outgrow it? When? Is there anything I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is normal for a newborn to want to be with you at all times. Think about it...she spent 9 months, cozy in your tummy. All she knows is your heartbeat, your smell, your warmth. The open space of the world is scary for her right now and I know it's exhausting, but yes she will outgrow it. In a few months, she will want to start exploring the things she sees around her and you will be able to put her down more. I suggest you get yourself a sling to keep her in for now so that you can still have the freedom to get around and get things done. Little by little, get her used to being by herself by putting her down when she is completely asleep.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 6:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• they will out grow it, enjoy it while it lasts! my son out grew clingy at about 7 months, and my daughter at about 10 months.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• its normal b a parent and comfort them
    Anonymous

• enjoy it while it lasts. Pretty soon she won't want to be around you (Cuddle) then youll miss this
    casd

Answer by casd at 6:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Please dont take this stage for granted. Its so precious, and goes by so fast. My daughter only cuddles when she is sick or super tired now... I miss it so much !
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Probably will grow out of it, but have you tried the car seat. My son is 3 weeks old and he loves being in his car seat!
    Melissa6280

Answer by Melissa6280 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Buy a sling and wear her. Your baby wants to be close to you. I promise you won't spoil her. Think about it, they are only your baby for the first year of there life and then they spend the rest of it trying to get their independence. In the grand sceme of things it is a small portion of your life that you get this chance.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 7:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• my son is 7 weeks and i still cant put him down anywhere. if i set himdown he will be fine for about minute or two now but the start screaming. even if hes asleep he will know if i set him down
    Ginger_Sessions

Answer by Ginger_Sessions at 7:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• And don't listen to the ones that say if you co sleep or hold your baby when they cry that they will be clingy...I did this with all three of mine and they are far from clingy. They are all very outgoing and have an independent nature.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2009