What do you do about tattling?

My seven year old is tattling about everything. If I leave the baby in his room for example and say "I have to go pee watch your brother for me?" He then proceeds to stand at the bathroom door and give me a play by play of the baby's every movement.
"The baby just picked up a block!"
"Now he is putting it in his mouth!"
"Now he put it on the floor!"
"Now it's back in his mouth again!"
etc, etc, etc...
We have had SEVERAL talks about when to tattle, but it does not seem to be sinking in and it is driving me crazy.
How do you control tattling.

violaswamp

Asked by violaswamp at 6:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have a rule that the only way you can tattle is if someone is hurt, being hurt or someones property is being broken. Otherwise I just don't listen.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I think that its good he tells you what if the baby chokes he is just looking out for the baby I would not get upset that's how kids are and it gets worse when they get older lol

Anonymous

• i agree with pp..but my kids actually get in trouble if theyre tattling becuase they do it so much..they get time outs.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 8:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Perhaps you could ask him to sit in the room with his baby brother and play with him while you are in the bathroom. That way he is interacting with him instead of watching him from the doorway. It sounds like he is giving you a play-by-play because while he is doing something important (watching his baby brother) he wants to be involved, too.
    :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2009