Question about vaccines (no bashing, this isnt a debate just a q)

Im about to be a new mom and am learning about shots/vaccines. It is breaking my heart to read the ingredients in these shots and knowing thats what they put in little tiny babies. I am one for being proactive against disease and such. But ugh its so hard to think that she's going to get a shot with Formaldehyde in it or beef heart stuff. I do have to have her vaxed though due to my husbands job, since he could get stationed overseas at anytime and then Id have to do it all at once and that would kill me even more.
Im in no way trying to start a debate or anything like that about vaccinations, so please dont bash me or anyone that responds to the question. I just want to know if there are alternative schedules or even vaccines that I could do instead of getting like 5 shots on one day for my little one and that dont have all the horrible ingredients??
oh and does anyone know of informative books or sites

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know about alternatives to the vaccines themselves, but yes you can request that they be spread out on different days. Word of Advice - Tylenol prior to the shots. It will help the swelling, and any potential fever.

(although me myself I would rather just have them get it over with)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• check out some of the groups on here ie... Choosing not to vaccinate, alternatives to medication and educate before you vaccinate.
    Anonymous

• Follow your gut feeling
    casd

Answer by casd at 6:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I have never heard of alternatives...but you can get them spread out over time to observe if she has a reaction to anything...I know it sux. its like the more you know, the worse it is...My DD has had all of hers up to this point. she's 7 months and the worst part is she gets a little cranky and a little diarrhea and fever. good luck. I always give her a dose of Tylenol a couple hours before and it seems to help. I have never had my DDs spread out but some people like to...I don't want her getting poked that much.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:50 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• You can request an alternate schedule...delayed schedule.

But the ingredients are the ingredients...vaccines are the vaccines.

I (personally) agree with Carolyn and would rather get 5 on one day instead of one on five different days....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• are there some vaccines that you can ommit compleltly?
    Anonymous

• You can always request an alternate schedule. The doctor can't give any shots you don't approve of. The CDC's website even lists alternate schedules and gives good info for deciding which ones to postpone and which are more critical. My own doctor wouldn't give more than 4 physical shots and no more than 5 different "bugs" in one day.

It is a toss up as to which is harder on baby though. Multiple trips to the doctor, each one with a shot or one massive shot fest.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Dr Sears has a great schedule for delayed vaccines. I mean obviously with your husbands job you have to do it so i would research Dr Sears schedule. it would be the best alternative.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 7:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• you can request delaying them, and instead of the "combo" vax, request that your baby recieve the shots individually so it doesn't overwhelm the baby. Also- be careful if you or your husband reacted badly to your shots as a kid. I was severely sick from just a 1/2 dose of my 1st MMR as a baby, and I do not want my baby to go through that- especially since the vax ingredients have changed in the last 30 years. I personally am skeptical of vax's, and we've opted so far to delay, but it scares me to have my baby get them personally. If your baby HAS to have them no matter what, then try the delayed schedule & individual shots instead of combo
    lilypadpr

Answer by lilypadpr at 5:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2009