What do i do if i am crate training my puppy and she just doesn't get it.

I have been trying for over a month now and she is peeing in her crate!! I have no idea what to do I have never had a dog before!!

Cherish050307

Asked by Cherish050307 at 6:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Pets

• i didnt crate train but my dog didnt Fully get the whole potty training thing till she was 4 months old..i thought i was doomed..just keep doin what youre doing and trust me, the dog will get it..be consistant!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 7:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Your crate is probably too big. It should only be enough room for him/her to stand up and turn around and lay down. Any more than that is too much.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• ya ive also heard that too..if the dog pees in the kennell its to big...cuz i always thought the bigger the better..but no, its supposed to be big enuff for them to turn around in, and thats it..

and i hope your dog gets better...im having the same problems..except not with the peeing..with the barking..everytime hes in it..BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I agree that it sounds like the crate is too big. One of our crates came with a partition and we sectioned it off so that it was only just big enough for her to lay down and stand up. If yours didn't come with a partition try getting a piece of heavy duty cardboard or something like that that you can cut to size and partition it off. Unless you can borrow a smaller crate from someone.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Also, you might try feeding her in the crate. They usually won't want to go to the bathroom where they eat.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• won't pee where they eat and sleep... so get a smaller crate, might even try a cat-sized crate!

mine took 3 mos in the crate before it "clicked" that, "Oh, I potty OUTSIDE! OK!"
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:22 AM on Mar. 27, 2009