when will my boobs stop hurting?

i am breastfeeding...this is my second child but i bottle fed the first...im only a week into this thing but give me some hope that my nipples will recover and get used to all this soon...

Micahbabysmommy

Asked by Micahbabysmommy at 7:02 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give it another week honey :) I know it can be a pain in the beginning, but it really does get better. There is an ointment you can get for your nipples if they are becoming dry or cracked that is safe for baby, but you may also want to try just rubbing some of your breast milk on them. It really does help.

As far as engorgement goes...I don't know how far into it you are, but if they are rock hard your baby wont be able to feed, so hand express just enough to soften your nipples and surrounding area so that baby will be able to latch on. It can be very frustrating for both of you if you are engorged at the time of feeding.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I have been breast feeding for 6 months now. mine rarely hurt anymore and I think that started aro8und 2 months. As for engorgement....pump, hot showers.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 7:07 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• im not engorged...he eats well...hes already heavier than he was at birth...im just sore and cracked and the other day i started bleeding...
    Micahbabysmommy

Answer by Micahbabysmommy at 7:08 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Bleeding is not good. I would call the hospital you gave birth at, and ask for the lactation consultant, and ask her what you should do. As I recall, they gave me ointment to put on my nipples, and suggested that I feed on the least cracked side as much as I could until the other side healed.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Pain, blood, and cracks are all pretty normal. The problems are usually gone by 6 weeks. There's Lansinoh nipple cream and Gerber Soothies for pain. For cracks and blood, manually express some of your own milk and let it air dry on your nipples. Also try shredding some iced carrots and leaving them in your nursing pads. The beginning is the hardest part. But you can get through it.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• It gets better. . . I've been bfing for 17months. There were many times in the first week or two that I didn't think I would last but I did and so can you.

The other moms have some great advice. Personally I used Lansinoh lanolin on my nipples but there are other creams you can use. Patting your nipples with breast milk does help. Letting them "hang out" and air dry.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2009