How do you know if your newborn has colic?

My 3 week old cries a lot, but according to my pediatrician, it is too early to tell if she's colicy. If your kid was colicy, how did you know? How often are newborns supposed to cry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• unconsolable crying greater than three hours.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 7:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The official definition is:
    The baby cries for more than 3 hours a day (it doesn't have to be all at once)...
    for more than 3 days a week...
    for more than 3 weeks in a row.
    So they can't officially call it colic until you have lived through 3 weeks of hell.

If your baby does end up with colic, watch your own emotions carefully. It is OK to put your baby in her crib and leave her if you simply can not figure out what will make her stop screaming and you are at your wits end. Babies with colic are more likely to be abused - putting her in her crib to cry while you go sit in the bathroom with the water running so you can't hear her for a few mintues is better than getting so upset that you shake her. And be aware that moms with colicy babies are more likely to develop postpartum depression. If you become concerned about your own emotions, talk to your doctor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My first seemed to cry a lot too, but she just wanted to feed around the clock. We spent the first 6 wks in the recliner
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Quite honestly it doesn't really matter whether it is officially colic or not, especially since even experts don't agree on what causes it. Even if you just have an extremely fussy baby (and if this started around 2-3 weeks it sounds like colic to me if all baby's needs are being met) or high needs baby, you're the one who needs the help. I agree with pp. Most likely things will start to get a little better after the 6 week mark and start to get a lot better after the 12 week mark. Make sure you take some breaks from your baby. And google "what to do for a colicky baby" -- you'll find a lot of advice. General rule of thumb -- whatever makes you uncomfortable makes them comfortable (pacing around, bouncing, pretty much anything you wouldn't choose to do all day long). I'm sorry you're going through this, do get help if you need it, and know it's nothing you're doing wrong! And maybe your baby is just fussy this week!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Newborns cry.... a lot! At least mine did. Are you breastfeeding or formula-feeding? If you're feeding him formula, make sure he is latching onto his bottles properly and not taking any air in. I had to switch to the playtex drop-ins bottle with the collapseable liner. They also have wider nipples. We didn't make the switch until he was two months old, unfortunately. I would swaddle him and turn on the water faucet, and at the same time bounce-rock him while pacing in the kitchen until he fell asleep. Hearing the water run, or other white noises soothed him. My son is a happy nine-month-old today. It does get better! Hang in there. Get as much help as you can, and make sure you get breaks, and most of all, sleep!
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The nurses told me to do this at the hospital: throw a blanket in the dryer for a few minutes and swaddle the baby tightly while it's still warm (not hot!) give the baby something to suck on, rock the baby and make sushing noises. It imitates the womb, and does wonders for most colicky babies.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• lol you will know !!! when you can't do anything ! In your power to make them happy try the vacume cleaner the noise help my daughter. I KNOW IT SOUNDS BAD BUT IT HELP ME.Good luck momma!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My son acted colicy around 2 weeks old but it only lasted for a week so we lucked out. He would cry for hours on end from around 6pm until 2 or 3 AM. The only way I could ever get him to stop crying was to strip him down to his diaper and lay him on my bare chest while "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhing" in his ear in a dark room. (took a week to figure it out) The skin to skin contact was comforting to him and the white noise was soothing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Mar. 27, 2009