Anyone here in psychology field? I am looking to continue my education online. I am pursuing a degree to become a social worker... Who do I contact to obtain certification? I realize I need to take an exam... Any additional info would be appreciated. Thank you~

If you have any other tips or schools online that you can recommend that have a curriculum in psychology please ... I'd like to hear from you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• Hi there. Well congrats on your decision to go back to school. The first thing you need to do is contact your state to see what the requirements are in your state for a psychology or social worker degree. It varies from state to state. Check out the on line schools but be very careful. They may say that they are accredited but may only be in some states. It is best to check with YOUR state to see if they will accept credit from the particular online school BEFORE you sign up and spend the money only to find out the credit for your state exam are not transferrable. Best of luck to you.
    dlb99

Answer by dlb99 at 7:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• It is very difficult to become a licensed counselor or a social worker from online schools.  Any type of program such of these require a Practicum and an Internship which is sometimes hard to do through distance. The previous poster is correct, you will need to see what your state licensing requirements are. You can not be certified as any type of counselor with a Bachelors Degree in psychology. You can work as a case manager or a care coordinator for various agencies though. It would also qualify you to work for Children's Services. For most types of licensure you will need a Masters Degree. What is it that you are wanting do to with the degree? That would help me more with being able to answer your question.

Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 27, 2009