Missing TWO WEEKS of KINDER!!!!!!

So my baby will be starting Kinder this up coming September and I am so happy and excited.......BUT my family has booked a two week Carribean Cruise during October.....that's right she will be missing TWO WEEKS of school.
What do you think?

LimoMOM5

Asked by LimoMOM5 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Seriously? So that poor kid won't get to sit with others and learn calendar days and how to cut? I think you probably can handle teaching that at home.

Renee- Seriously? How can they get away with telling parents what they can do with their kids? ( I am glad to homeschool also.....Disneyland in September is so much better then June. LOL)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:58 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• It's kindergarten, not college. Don't pressure her with school. Enjoy your whole family time away.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Meh. I don't think its a big deal. My parents took us out of school every year until I was in 8th grade for the first two weeks of deer season (in September) and it never affected us.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Will they allow this?I don't think a holiday should interfere with school,what does that teach her?JMO
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The beginning of the school year is better than the last part. I'd make sure to let her teachers know as soon as you can, though. Personally, though...I'd not be going because that's a lot of school to miss. Doesn't your family realize she's going to be in school?

Sure it's "only kindergarten" but it's more than just preschool, too.
    Anonymous

• How is her missing two weeks of school teaching her the importance of her education?

What do I think? Personally, I think I would give my regrets the my family but explain that since they booked the vacation during the school year, I and my child would be unable to join them.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• At that point in Kindergarten, it should be fine. Fill out the request at school for a prearranged absence. She really won't miss all that much. The school will let her out. Maybe she can do a journal about her trip that she can present at school when she gets back. Get her a camera and have her take pics, draw pics and dictate memories to you. I don't thing your family can just cancel the trip now without losing all the money. Take her and enjoy the trip.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Depending on which state you live in, make sure you check with the school district, if she is allowed to miss that long. I live in Texas and they are very strict here. If you have more than 5 days it is a misdemeanor and you could be fined up to $500. Sounds crazy, especially with kindergarten, but true. I personally think it would be okay, but check with the school district.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 8:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I would be concerned that when she gets back to school she may take some time getting back into the groove, but as long as the school is ok with it I wouldn't worry too much. Obviously you'll take her school schedule into account when scheduling future vacations so this one mess-up is no big deal.
    As for the poster who thinks taking her on vacation isn't teaching her the importance of school - if you really think that your daughter is mature enough to be affected in this way, she should also be mature enough to understand the situation if you sit her down and explain it to her...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Our school district wouldn't allow that. You're supposed to take your vacations as the district plans for them....sucks. Another reason I'm happy to homeschool :)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:05 AM on Mar. 27, 2009