Do any of you sew??

i have a sewing machine at home i just bought used. i am a beginner so any advice woudl be nice. i want to get good enough to make my own clothes and also for my kids.

i woudl love to hear from you ladies that sew

HELP!

midnitemama

Asked by midnitemama at 7:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 7:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Start out simple. Make a pillow case, a tote bag, anything with straight lines. Get good at that then do some simple purses. The Sewing for Dummies patterns are great for learning, they explain everything in plain english. Stay away from the Butterick patterns because they're often very complicated and confusing. I caught one pattern missing 2 critical steps.

Also, visit http://www.sewforum.com, wonderful people over there that are always willing to help!
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 10:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• There are several sewing groups on here you should check out & there is at least one just for beginners. The Singer sewing books are really nice & have pics. & good instructions. I started out just doing very easy patterns using cheap fabric & learned a lot that way.

The most important thing is to be patient & take it slow until you get the hang of it. Audrey is right though - some patterns are maddening. I always say they are written by foreign men who don't sew - LOL.

Good luck & feel free to PM me if you ever need any help.
    poisson

Answer by poisson at 5:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• i've used a machine only a few times, and now that i have my own i'm afraid to use it, since the repair guy set up the string and everything for me lol. But I managed to find an instruction book for the model online! so now it's just a matter of finding time. simple projects are best! like if you have a small rip in your pants you can follow the seam and sew it up. or you can make a purse, pillow case...so many fun projects out there! I also want to make clothes for my son. I'm really into patchwork pants. I have saved some old jeans that no longer fit him and will go crazy once I get the hang of the machine! have fun and GL
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Do you have a JoAnn's or Hancock's? I took a sewing class that helped me with the basics. We did a top and pants and that gave me the basic knowledge on how to read a pattern, cut the pieces out and how to put them together. I was able to expand from that and sew clothes for my kids.

For me, I liked the classes because I need someone to show me. It's hard for me to learn from books, websites, etc.
    MamaCeleste0722

Answer by MamaCeleste0722 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 1, 2009

• Simplicity patterns are easy to follow - thus the name. You should be able to find craft projects (purses or pillows) or for children.

I have to agree with AudreyJ - stay away from Butterick --- I picked one of their patterns for one of my first outfits - it has a scooped neckline and princess sleeves - not that simple for a beginner ---but it still turned out nice.
    missy910

Answer by missy910 at 12:17 PM on May. 21, 2009