Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should I wait for my doctors or should I go onto the ER?

My 4 year old has always had a bad urine smell in the past year it has started changing colors.The doctors have said it was a UTI and givin her antibotics for it, but as soon as she is done with the antibotics the infections come right back.I have made them make me a appointment with a specalist but it is 1 month away.I am worried that this is causing damage to her kidneys or liver..What should I do wait ??

Answer Question

Asked by heathermoore420 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • try another specialist? if she has a fever and/or abdominal pain, I'd take her to e r.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

  • well if it's been going on for over a year I really don't think another month is going to do any more damage than what already has been done.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

  • I say find another doctor that will see her sooner. I wouldn't rush into anything ER style, but if there's a walk-in clinic or a triage you can visit, that might be worth it.

    Answer by livn4hevn at 9:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

  • I'd see another doctor. Do they say what is causing it? Have you exhausted every possibility, I hate to ask, including possible molestation someplace? Sorry to ask. It's probably just her body but I'd look into everything. That's a long time for UTI to be ongoing.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

  • There are many things that can cause a reoccuring UTI in a child, esp a little girl. I would get her into a DR and soon as you can, it does not have to be ER tonight but I would not wait a month.

    Mention to the DR that you want her checked for reflux (that is where there is a reflux of urine from the bladder back up to the kidneys). There are tests just to check for that, they can do IVP which is done with contrast, they can also do a CT scan.

    I am not trying to scare you, just give you information that you can repeat to a DR. Never take no for an answer, any DR that will not get to the root of the cause is not a DR. you want. This could cause irreversable to the kidneys if not treated. Like I said it is not a reason to go to ER unless she is running a fever or having pain, esp in the flank area.

    If you need anymore info feel free to message me, I am a renal student and all if the information right here.

    Answer by jordanmarie2000 at 12:23 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.