Should the Govt limit pay for entertainers and athletes?

According to a Rassmussen poll 30% think they should.

I think the amount of govt interference some people seem to want is frightening. If we the people didn't buy what they were selling celebs wouldn't make so much money. Pretty simple.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/30_say_government_should_limit_pay_for_athletes_and_movie_stars

Friday

Asked by Friday at 7:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, I don't like gov't limiting anyone's pay! But if they do limit the players salaries do they then limit the revenue that the team and owners? Or the cost of the tickets?

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Well, on one hand, no b/c they are doing a job. Granted that job my come with more money and perks, but its still what they do every day. They also have to keep a certain set of standards in regards to their looks, physical capabilities, etc.

But, on another hand, I do think that paying millions of dollars to someone to play a sport is a bit ridiculous. I don't go to any pro games of any kind mostly for that reason.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• *teams and owners GET? sorry :)
    momof030404

• No! Government shouldn't limited incomes even though I think it's crazy what some people get paid!
    BubNSoap

Answer by BubNSoap at 7:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• i think that owners and team players are making way to much money. playing a sport is not a real job to me no matter how many games that you play. to me that is for fun. we should pay better salaries to doctors and teachers those who's jobs actually have a benefits for others.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 7:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• This is not a government business so they should stay out of it. If the fans don't want to pay these salaries with merchandising and ticket sales then it is up to the fans. The government is not in the sports and entertainment business. At least not yet............
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• It's not the government's business. Besides, that's why the players have unions. If they didn't get those six figure salaries, it wouldn't be worth it, and I seriously doubt the Dems will get in the business of union busting. They're having enough time keeping their heads above water navigating the auto issue.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:39 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I really do not know what is wrong with people.Why do some think government should have control of our lives? Our government is too involved in alot of ways already and now it will only expand and exapand and our children and grandchildren are going into debt.Why do some seem to want our country to become a socialist country?
    There are "tea parties" going on all accross America that is what it is about people saying NO to that.Not about this party or that party it's about STOP the spending.STOP allowing more and more big government control.
    We are going to lose our country if we don't take action and it will be our fault
    Anonymous

• This IS a free market society- if we were *bailing out* a bball team, or helping finance a movie, then yes!! But I DO think that more of them should be doing along the lines of Brad and Angelina- working for good with their names and donating a good portion of their *ridiculous* salaries to the causes they support.

mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 7:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• i say no, people who say yes i think are jealous they don't have that kind of money... they have worked for it, its theirs....why take it from them?? its their career and their own life... the government needs to butt out...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2009