A year and a day? Paganism/Wicca question.

What is the concept behind the year and a day of study? Does it mean that you can not consider yourself Pagan/Wiccan until you have studied for a year and a day, or just that you can not be formally initiated/self-initiated until that time? Or is it just a formality that most people don't observe any more? I'm really confused about that. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks ladies, blessed be!

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 7:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you hold Pagan beliefs you are pagan. However it's always best to be practicing and at the very least dedicated. As I said befor I do recommend that newbies stick to the year and a day rule if for no other reason that the fact that Initiation is a serious thing and should be looked at that way. Rushing in to it and then deciding that this isn't the path for you would be disrespectful.

I would love to answer any and all questions you have so please feel free to message me. I love teaching and learning!! Helping someone along alows me to do both.

Goddess Bless!
    Sabrina

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:03 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• That is more along the lines of Wicca. Wicca is a bit more structured in their learning system. In Paganism you study what you see fit. Although there may be some Pagans who have this same structure but for me and my Pagan group out here in Washington we don't use that concept.
    Any way.
    I believe the year and a day concept is to make sure you understand the basics of your chosen path and to make sure you want to progress futher into said path.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I answered this last night but then my computer cicked me off and it didn't go through... So here goes again...
    Witches study for a year and a day because the Celtic goddess Cerridwen is said to have stired her brew in the cauldron of knowledge for that time. Usually the only time you will be required to take that time is when joining a coven. If you are Solitary you will not HAVE to do this. But some still do. Usually what happens is you will be dedicated and then study for a year and a day before you are initiated and officially a part of the coven. At that point you are A first degree Witch.
    That year and a day is not only to help you establish your knowledge base but also to allow the coven and the High Priest/Priestess to get to know you and decide if you are a propper fit for the coven.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:56 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• As a solitary you don't have anyone else to worry about and therefore you don't have to follow these guide lines. I do still recommend them however, because it allows you to take your time and feel your way trough as aposed to rushing in just to feel you are a higher level witch. In the end we are all the same anyways, it's more a knowledge and experience thing htan anything and you're rarely if ever need to tell someone how far through the levels you have gotten, so it doesn't matter how slowly or quickly you do it, if you do it at all. Most solitaries I know didn't go through all the degrees formally. They simply self dedicated and self initiated and left it at that.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:00 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Not all witches believe in the whole year and a day thing. There are many different branches of witches/wiccans. I am a Traditional witch, there are many differences between us and other witches/wiccans. I believe that not all wiccans are witches, nor are witches are wiccan. It's all up to you and what you want to follow.
    Christine910

Answer by Christine910 at 5:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2009