• In the Spotlight:

Scrambled Eggs

Does your 9 mt old eat eggs...we were at golden coral and my bf gave them to her...she loves them....Can she get sick from eggs

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 7:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The fear of eggs has to do with a food allergy (the white part). Since you baby has already had them and has no allergy it's perfectly fine.
    BubNSoap

Answer by BubNSoap at 7:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Food allergies in kids are actually pretty rare. And PP is right in stating the main concern with eggs before 1 yr is the whites (which contain albumin, which is the enzyme that could cause an allergy).

But, also like the PP said, if she did fine then she is probably in the clear to eat eggs. My kids ate a lot of foods before the year mark that are on the "no-no" list. (Egg whites, milk, seafood, peanut butter, etc) The foods on the list have the highest instances of allergic reactions and the most severe when they happen. This is why pediatricians recommend the child reaches 1 yr of age before introducing them. By 1 year the child's immune system has matured significantly and could be better prepared to handle an allergic reaction. I only restricted honey before age 1 since it is not pastuerized and could contain botulism.

But, if she did ok, then start bringing on the eggs! LOL
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Ditto. The damage is done so to speak. Be glad she had no reaction and you have no reason to not give her eggs again.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 7:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• You can give her eggs just fine. Just don't be giving them to her six times a day lol. My parents told me a story that when I was about a year or so, maybe even two, I was eating so many eggs I was diagnosed with high cholesterol!!!! AT TWO YEARS OLD (or younger). Don't want that to happen to you lol... good luck!!! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 8:05 PM on Mar. 26, 2009