Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ex's income tax withheld does it come to me?

My ex is about 2000.00 behined on his child support. he told me that he didn't get his income tax return which was about 1500.00 bucks he asked me if i had recieved it. I haven't, so i called the AG but they said it can take 4-6 weeks for it to come but that was 7 weeks ago. i was wondering if anyone has ever been in this situation and what should i expect..will i even get it or is it just the government being slow slow slow like they always are...any feedback at all is appreciated. thanks so much!!

Answer Question

Asked by jstro81421 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to that. I went thru Child Support Enforcement.

    Not to be rude, but you might want to do a google search to see how long and if you can expect it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

  • I got my ex tax return when he was behind. If I remember correctly it took til summer. Good luck!

    Answer by aeemom at 7:47 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

  • You are correct in your assumption. It's the Department of Revenue dealing with all their cases that causes backlogging. Always takes a bit longer than you'd expect.

    Answer by EireLass at 7:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

  • Not unless you recieve aid from the state.... They will take their part first and then if you are owed you will get yours later.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

  • They will send the refund to you but it takes a while, you can call your local cse office and they will explain the process. My ex filed his but they don't know anything about it until the check is actually sent to cse...

    Answer by 4x4mum at 10:36 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

  • You will eventually get it once the state agency receives it from the IRS, processes it, checks to see if you receive money from the state and take their portion from it, and then eventually cut you a child support check for what they send you.
    I've dealt with child support enforcement agencies in two states for one child for 16 years and have had to wait for arrearage checks many times. I just learned not to count on them and so when they came in I either tucked them away or bought things my daughter really needed (bed, clothing, camp fees, childcare costs, etc.).
    Be patient and best wishes to you!

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.