Where in the Constitution does it give the govt authority to tell me what I can do with or to my body?

How are laws against consensual crimes, drugs, prostitution etc Constitutional?

Why do we give them that kind of power?

Friday

Asked by Friday at 7:51 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Crimes, drugs, violence and prostitution are all deemed crimes against society and the common wealth has nothing to do with government power.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• consensual crimes? Not really sure tho. I see your point. BUT as far as the drugs...you could hurt other people while you are "impaired". But then the same can be said for alcohol. lol...kind of a wishy washy answer...in my defense my allergies have slowed me down!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• It's only 'unconstitutional' if you don't agree with it, Friday. lol
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Why do we give them that kind of power?

Ask Candy Lightner
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• These have been going on since the beginning of time and no one has figured out a way to stop them yet so I don't think anybody need worry about it. I guess it really boils down to a moral issue more then a constitutional issue.

I often have wondered who came up with some of these laws and why. Prostitution for example. Instead of having so many running around on the streets and having all sorts of things happen to them, let them have their house with a madam and pay taxes and into health care. They would be safer and it wouldn't be such an issue. Drugs, I do not agree with because so many things happen with crime and the damage done to ones own self. But hey that can also be said about alcohol. And, when did an age limit come into play with consensual sex? Girls used to be married off at 12 and 13 years of age!!!!!
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The Constitution does not give the Federal govt. any power over them except as might apply to inter-state trafficking. It may allow for individual states or local municipalities to regulate them since you can move if you don't like it.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 8:45 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The Constitution doesn't give the Fed the power to make these laws, we do. We do it by our silence, or approval of bills, by our ignorance of politics, by our willingness to accept that what the government decides is right. Every rule the government makes outside of the Constitution that we don't weigh in on, we give them a little more of our power.

However, you have to have it one way or the other. You can't say, go ahead and regulate big business, but don't regulate me. Feed the poor people, but don't give them rules. When the governments job ceases to be upholding the Constitution and becomes caring for the general population, they don't answer to us. We answer to them.

This is why we need the bunch of snobby, over reaching lazy a** politicians that we have elected to run us into the ground OUT! Both sides.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:07 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• A lot of the laws you are talking about are on the state level and therefore aren't uncostitutional.

We wouldn't need such laws if people
    1. Had responsibiltiy and accountabilty
    2. Used a little common sense
    3. Followed the 1 simple rule we have in our house; "BE NICE".
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:52 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

__________________________________________

It is illegal for states to pass laws that are unconstitutional
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

Many states have passed laws legalizing marijuana for medical and recreational use but the Feds bust people anyways. Drug laws ARE federal. And as Stacy said, states cannot pass laws that are unconstitutional, at least they aren't supposed to be able to.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 11:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009