Baby massages

So I'v hear that giving you baby a massage is good for them.. But when I go to get a massage they say that you need to drink a lot of water...Well my daughter does not drink water. She only drinks Breast milk....Does my milk have enought water in it? How does that work? Can someone please help me understand

1babytolove

Asked by 1babytolove at 7:58 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have never done it, but I would imagine that an infant massage is no were near as intense as an adults. With a baby you probably gently rubbing them.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• baby massage vs adult massage is wayyyyyy different.. the water for adults is for deep tissue.. when people talk about baby massage it means simple lightly rubbing your babies feet.. legs, on up.. I give my son a massage after every bath.. in the beginning it was to help him sleep and get use to a pattern, now we just do it because, well, he likes it.. he's almost 9 months old now
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 8:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I'm a massage therapist...

The reason you need to drink a lot of water, is because of the muscles that are being moved around, and the toxins that are leaving the muscles...

Babies don't have that...and as long as the massage is light, it's ok to go towards the heart. Massages shouldn't go towards the heart. You should always massage away from it. That's why when you go get a massage, they shouldn't go up your leg with a lot of pressure, because they can cause the blood to flow into your heart backwards.
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 11:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The reason why you are asked to drink water after a massage is that there are bi products of your muscular tissue being manipulated. Some therapist choose to call them toxins. I call them bi-products. They are not toxic they are just part of the bodies processes. It's important to stay hydrated to move those toxins and keep your body moving well, flushed, and fluid. Your muscles, joints and whole body require hydration to stay mobile. One time after one of my many massages I did not take time to drink water at the clinic, and was behind in my daily intake. I felt sluggish the next day. It makes a difference. Now, as for your baby, yes, water is part of the magic in breast milk that's why it's not a powder coming out of you, it's a liquid. Keeping yourself hydrated will keep your baby hydrated. Here is an Infant Massage Link

massagegiftmom

Answer by massagegiftmom at 2:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2009