How do you think we can solve this problem?

Tent cities have been popping up all over the country. What do you think we should do to help? Or do you think we should not help these people? Most are homeless due to home foreclosures.
Here is the link to the story:
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/03/tent-cities-pop.html

dragonfly7271

Asked by dragonfly7271 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This is very sad to see happening but it is more and more everyday. None of us can say this will never happen to me because we just don't know right now. And, alot of these people are having to learn for the first time how to survive without a roof over their head or a job or food. They find themselves feeling like a burden to society yet very helpless to do anything about it. I met a couple like this 2 years ago. They had small children and all they had was a tent and a few belongings. They found themselves in a state park area with no idea as to what was going to happen to them. We extended the hand of friendship and while they were friendly they would not accept a meal or anything. So, when we left we just left all of our stuff we didn't need to bring home at their campsite. As did many others. Tent cities are the new neighborhoods now.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• There's not much we can do because we're all sort of in the same boat- at least I know my family is. We can't really afford to help others because we're barely floating above water ourselves.

I guess people could invite others into their homes, but I doubt that would work out too well.
    Haidens_Mama

Answer by Haidens_Mama at 8:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Tent cities are certainly not the best living conditions, but we all used to live off the land at one point. Others all over the world still do. I can only do what little I can as an individual and help support whatever actions my government may make to help (or use my time to help promote ideas and solutions for my government)
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Sure we all used to live off the land but exactly how many people nowdays really know how? I mean, in the past it was passed down from generation to generation. They still live like that in many parts of the world but HERE, in the US, how many really know how to survive this way?
    Anonymous

• I don't think anymore programs will help. I will take food to the local food bank to help and pray.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I agree w/ Anon. Not many people know how to live off the land. I certainly don't. :p
    America has just fallen apart. I'm almost embarrassed to call myself an American. We've turned into a lazy, greedy, power hungry country. & no one wants to "dig in" & REALLY lead us out of this mess.

I feel sorry for the people who have lost their homes! I feel sorry for those who have truly been affected by the dwindling economy. I don't know how to help them. We buy produce locally to support smaller businesses & such. But i don't know how *I* can help others out of state, when my family is just getting by as well.
    Anonymous

• This is in no way intended to belittle them, because I know I'm just a paycheck away from that same situation, but if we all learned to "live of the land" and grew our own food and actually physically worked for a living (I don't mean office jobs) then we'd all be a heck of a lot healthier. We'd be forced to do physical work, and eat healthy food.

But, that's only if you're doing it right, I know a lot of families in those tent cities don't have money for that either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• If you don't know how to live off the land, well then learn. The taxpayers shouldn't have to bail out every person who decided that they should buy a home with a mortgage more than their salaries. Maybe someone should start up a survival class at the their local Y, that would be helpful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I don't know. Maybe if California wasn't so willing to help illegals from Mexico have benefits meant for poor Americans in California, they could take better care of the down-and-outs in their state.

Just a thought.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:05 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I am going to be going into foreclosure because of DH job loss and medical costs (we drained all resources before filing BK). You have time to save up and prepare. Just some think it won't come and waiting for the government to help and its not the solution. For those the whole towns went under you pack up your belongings and move.

I would lend a family member $200 and food for a hotel which is about 1-2 weeks at some hotels. Get a job and then should be able to get back on feet. Not every market is hurting right now. Life sucks but you have to make changes to survive.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Mar. 27, 2009