Would You Transfer Your Child?

My child attends a school where the last two weeks two teachers have been under investigation for two separate incidents.
One teacher decided to have one of her 5 year old student eat food from the garbage because he didn't want his lunch.
The other I just learned of today hit his 12 year old student over the head with a screw driver. The child belongs to one of our councilmen.
Now it's a really good school. Magnet school You have to have good grades to even stay in the school however I'm getting nervous because of these incidents.
How do I know if it isn't a matter of time bfore her teacher loses it.
Do you think it's a good idea to place my daughter back in Public Schools because of these incidents? I'm just nervous. We have never had these incidents while she was in Public School.

mommatime78

Asked by mommatime78 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, get them out of their as soon as possible. I suspect it is a charter school rather than a magnet program. Charter schools are not run by district personell and are not subject to as much oversight as magnet programs are. Magnet programs are run by the district.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Um, charter schools are run by districts. Atleast in my city they are. Those issues can happen at any school; private, public, magnet or charter. It would be more trouble to transfer your child with one quarter left of the year. Talk with the principal at the school about your concerns, I am sure there are other parents with the same concerns. The charter schools in my city are so popular, the only way to get in is to sign up and hope your child is picked in the "lottery". The charter school follows district rules and schedules. They do have their own curriculum and some use different books than the public schools. Like I said, you will encounter problems no matter where your child goes to school. I can tell you stories that will blow your mind.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• It's a Magnet school. Has been in my city for over 40 years. It's not a Charter school. And yes this can happen in any school.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• i would do more research before you just pull her out. as the one poster said, the school year is almost over. even if you do change schools, i reccommend waiting until after the year is over.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I was thinking the samething. I tried very hard to get my kids in this school and finally my daughter was accepted then this happens. It makes me really angry but I guess I can hold off until the school year is over.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 26, 2009