Sick 9 month old

So this all started on tues when I as sick. It was the 24 hour bug, wed I was feeling fine but right before my DD goes to bed she throws up, not spit up but throw up, 2 times and once in her sleep. When she wakes up I change her and her poop is like water! And she throws up again so I call her pedi and I get in an hour later. She didn't have a temp, it was 98.0. so far today she has eaten about 10 oz and has thrown up a lot of it and her poop is still like water and smells really bad! (my husband said it smells like when my dog died) should I take her to he hospital?

Kimora_neko

Asked by Kimora_neko at 8:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids had the same thing. Tell the doctor and they might have you give her some pedialyte so she doesn't get dehydrated. I have 4 kids and the youngest (1YO twins) had that poop for days. I gave them pedialyte a few times and watered down formula here and there. It was awful. My 2YO threw up twice and then was fine. One of the twins was worse than the other and only one threw up. It all passed in a few days. My 7YO never got it, thankfully. I did and was sick for a day and 1/2 - fever and all.
    cleo1969

Answer by cleo1969 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Keep pushing fluids. Is she eating? If she is eating, the low amount of fluids will not be detremental (per the ER doctor at my hospital). Try some Pedialyte in place of formula a couple of times, just for the sake of getting fluids into her.

If she is not showing signs of dehydration, and is not running a fever, don't put her through the hell of an ER.

If, by mid-day tomorrow, she is still having explosive diarrhea and throwing up, then call her pediatrician back and see what he says.

I'm not a doctor, but this is just my opinion
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Her pedi said to give her gatorade cut with water instead of perdialyte and she said that my DD was not dehydrated. My of my friends said try to give her some jello but i don't know about that....
    Kimora_neko

Answer by Kimora_neko at 8:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• She has also been really sleepy today
    Kimora_neko

Answer by Kimora_neko at 8:47 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I would give her clear fluids... pedialyte is better than Gatorade because it has less sugar and sugar makes diarrhea worse. If she is breastfed you can continue to breastfeed but not as long. If she takes formula don't give her any formula for awhile... and when you restart do half strength in small amounts... so 4 oz water and 1 scoop. If she throws it up then go back to the pedialyte. Right now getting fluids in is more important... so if she likes jello she can have it. (I would do sugar free)
    If she eats baby food, do small amounts and add extra fluids to it.... stick with bananas, apple sauce and rice cereal until she is better.
    If she continues to have frequent vomiting and diarrhea I would bring her to the doctor.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• the pedi also said rice cereal and carrots, she hates rice cereal (or any kind of baby cereal, I never could get her to eat them) so tomorrow i'll try the carrots and jello
    Kimora_neko

Answer by Kimora_neko at 10:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2009