Finding religion.

I feel like something is missing from my life which to me is God. I just don't know how to go about finding a church or denomination for me. I'm pro-choice, pro-birth control, pro-gay rights.

I grew up in an atheist household. How did you go about finding God and a church when you've never had it in your life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• When I was searching I made a list of what I did believe in, for sure. My core beliefs, the things that were a part of my heart and wouldnt ever change.
    Then I wrote what things I didnt believe in and then I hit books and online sites and asked friends,etc.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 8:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Oh ya and beliefnet can be a place to start for some. That belief-o-matic has been known to help people find where to begin their search. Might not give them an exact answer but it gives them a good starting point.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 8:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• You can believe in God and still have all of those qualities...I do :) I personally don't identify with mainstream religions but have plenty of beliefs. There are many options, you just have to find what fits.

Bonesdragondew gave some good info.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 8:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I found Unity, which is pretty open minded. It definitely embraces all those qualities and more. Of course you don't need a church to find GOD. He's right there with/in you. Need some more advice or someone to talk to come seek me out. :)
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• For me I asked Jesus into my heart. I repented and continued to work on myself. I didn't jump into going to church.I just recently have tried.Building a relationship with God is really important. That would be my first goal. Praying and talking more with him.Of course learning by reading the Bible. You will know and understand how and why God does things the way he does.He never changes.So you can learn from others mistakes in the past. Hope this helps. Also the Bible can teach you what branch is right for you.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Also if you have a lot of questions church is great .If you cannot find the answers on your own.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 9:34 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• God is the Creator of the Heavens and Earth. He is the one that Created adam, jesus and us. God is worthy of your worship and you may find him by knowing who he is first and foremost. If you really want to find GOD. Read the Quran. I went through this same thing a few years back and i hopped from church to church looking.. and found nothing but more depression, more confusion and more untruths. until i came across the Quran and read it from cover to cover and began asking questions and finding clear answers. I accepted islam as my religion the Creator of heaven and earth as my GOD and i try to worship him every day and second. If you would like you can read the quran at thenoblequran.com
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I read the Quran. I got it from my library. Your God is not my God. I can tell you that for a fact.
    I do think more people should read it.So they can see for themselves the truth.
    Anonymous

• Anon 9:46: You have no way of knowing that is a fact. It is your opinion. Plain and simple. Express what you think, but call it what it is, an opinion.
    As for the OP's question, you should do some research on the internet. Beliefnet is a good place to start as people have already mentioned here. It sounds like you are an open-minded person so western, traditional organized religion may not mesh so well with you, but you never know. Just keep exploring and make it a point to be open to all philosophies before you make up your mind...the important thing is that you're searching.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 10:09 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I also would recommend beliefnet. Until you find your 'niche, I'd also recommend trying a UU church. They're accepting of everyone. Who knows... maybe that is your niche.

G'luck.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2009