How long was your child in a booster seat?

My 10YO SD is still in a booster but she is only about 42 lbs. She is smaller than my 7YO, who is smaller than average! She is riding with a friend tomorrow and my DF just brought up the carseat issue and said he hoped she doesn't start getting teased for it.

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son will be ten in Sept and he still rides in a booster (just the small one with the armrests, not the full one with the harness). He will ride in one until he hits 80 lbs and he is only 60 lbs right now. (he is a twig!). He has friends who are not made to ride in a booster and used to complain about it sometimes, but I explained to him that I have him ride in a booster because I love him and that is what is safest and it is my job to keep him safe. He was still a bit annoyed about it, but when we were at a fair there were police officers and EMT's with a booth set up to talk to parents and children about car safety and car seats and boosters and they measured him and talked to him and explained to him about the guidelines and why it is best to stay in a booster longer and he really took it well and understood. Thankfully he is a reasonable child. :)
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The industry is bent of keeping anyone under certain height and weight in boosters s long as possible.
    Good for us?
    Well it'$ good for them!
    Anonymous

• My son is 12 1/2 and just got out of the booster seat. He finally reached the 80 lbs and 4'9" goals. In my state the law is 8 yrs old, 80 lbs or 4'9". What is funny,my aunt is 4'11" and weighs maybe 90 lbs. and we tease her that she should be in a booster seat for safety. LOL!! I didn't give my son a choice in my car. He wasn't teased for it either.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:36 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• DD was i think between 8 & 9 when she quit riding in one. I had a minivan so it was no big deal to her because you couldnt see it. It was one of the ones that you could take the back off of. Her friends saw her in it and it wasn't an issue. Good luck
    Luv_my_hubby

Answer by Luv_my_hubby at 1:24 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I took both my kids out last year, when they were 8 & 10. Both are small for their age, and the 8 yr old weighs within a pound of his brother.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:30 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My oldest are both 8 and neither one is anywhere near the size requirements to get out of a booster. I don't see how they would get teased about it, it's not like they bring it on the bus with them.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:43 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• tyfry-my DSD's mom is like 4'10" and 85 lbs. so my DSD will probably be the same size. We always tell her she will have to take her booster seat to driver's ed!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I know my son was smaller than the 80 pounds, but he was the minimum age. I know they want you to keep the kids in the booster seat basically forever nowadays. My daughter is 19 now and the requirements were so different back then. I think they should make the seat belts more adjustable or build in seat adjusters in cars. It is kind of crazy to have kids in booster seats up until Middle school!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 2:15 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My oldest will be 9 in June and is still in one because she is only 40lbs and just barely 4' tall. She'll use it until she fits properly with just the car belt.

My son is 7 1/2 but 56lbs (could even be 60lbs now, I haven't weighed him in awhile) and rides without when everyone is in our truck because he sits up front (no place to put a carseat in the front). But rides in the booster if one of his sisters isn't going with us. He'll probably be out of one before my oldest.

The law here is 8 or 80lbs but I go by how the car seat belt fits on them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:11 PM on Mar. 27, 2009