To Goodwill or NOT to Goodwill

I keep going through my things...we're going to be moving in a few months and we just have so much collected things. The sad thing is that I think I've gone through everything that I could. I can't seem to part with anything else. Everything either has a story or was a gift that meant alot.... I'm so used to being without these things, when I moved to college, everything that I had in my name could fit into my little car. Now that I have been in the same place for a while I've had time to gather things, and my husband is even worse a packrat than I am! lol How do you choose when it comes down to little things?

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would say whichever has the most meaning to you....if you have to choose between them, just decide in 10 yrs from now, which would you like to see again and have the memory?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The things you know you will never use and someone else can enjoy them give those away, I tend to hold on to sentimental things alot but every spring I go through the closets and give to the goodwill.
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My hubby is the packrat LOL. We have tons of boxes that he's gone through and still cant part with most of it.

However, before we move again he will and most will be gone. My figuring is if its something that will just sit in a box and never ever be seen or used again...its out of here. If its super sentimental and it will be shown on a shelf or put in a remembrance book,etc then Ill keep it.

Sometimes you just have to be tough on yourself about it. Its nice to keep the sentimental things but if all they are gonna do is sit and collect dust...why not let someone else have them to make memories of.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 9:14 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• or you could have a yard sale i did when i was getting rid of stuff and the stuff that didnt sale i gave to the goodwill
    Anonymous

• I say you havent thought of it in the past year.........take a picture of it and donate. My husband is the WORST pack rat. It drives me insane.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I am really bad about this too, especially if it's stuff my kids made or did or something like that, places we've been, etc. BUT I made myself go through everything (kids drawings, school work, projects, photos, etc...) and I kept enough to make each kid 2 scrapbooks and then I kept photos that mean a lot to me, and postcards or small reminders of places we have been that we will probably never go again to make a scrapbook of those too, and to add some in to my children's scrapbooks. Being a military family, we accumulated many items like these during our travels, but I got it all narrowed down to 1 medium Rubbermaid container!

Furniture and items like that, I say sell or donate unless its handed down from like your grandparents or parents and you really love the piece. If you don't love the piece and are just keeping it purely for sentimental reasons, someone else could really use it I say.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I give clothes to good will and I give toys to daycares.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 9:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I go by if you haven't used it in the past 10 yrs then it can go... Otherwise it's going to sit for another 10 yrs...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 9:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• read this:
    http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/cleansweep/tips/tips_02.html
    it has alot of good ideas on what you should keep & what you should not. they should have a section about holding on to memories that will help you out alot..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:46 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The way I choose:
    Ask yourself when the last time was that you used it.

If it's been longer than a month, ditch it.
    (Unless it's a seasonal item)
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 10:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2009