How can I pack some pounds on my 18mth son?

My son eats ok for me and great for the sitter. He has fallen off the chart for his weight and I don't know what I can feed him to get him to gain some healthy weight. He is 18mths old and weighs just over 19 lbs. He is not a picky eater and will eat just about anything you put in front of him. My husband and I are both under 5 ' 6" so he is not going to be a basketball player. I just wanted to see go get some "Mom" opions.

Anita1229

Asked by Anita1229 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try pediasure drinks
    bearcat84

Answer by bearcat84 at 9:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Whole milk, pudding made with whole milk, cottage cheese (be careful with this because of the high sodium), yogurt, cheese, and add some butter where you can. I make homemade waffles with whole milk and butter for my son and he devours them.
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 9:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Before going to the Dr. and finding out he was underweight did you worry about him? Does he look healthy & have good energy & learning well? If so I wouldnt worry about it momma, every kid is diffrent & there are alot of kids that are on the skinny side. If he is eating well & nutricious food I wouldnt be worried :)
    My dd has always been on the smaller side as well. Thats Ok with us cause we know she is growing just fine & eats well (she IS a picky eater though-- but thankfully she prefers healthy food!)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:00 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• if he's healthy, running around, and acting normal, he's fine. don't let THE CHART freak you out. it's just an AVERAGE.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 1:12 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Did the doctor say her was underweight? Kids are pretty self regulating, pushing lots of fattening foods on him at this age is going to set him up for life long weight problems. I suggest you go see a dietitian or a nutritionist who specialize in children. These people have studied nutrition and can tell you the best most healthy way to do what your looking to do.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 4:02 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• did the doc give you the okay for peanut butter? i don't have a lot of advice for you...my dd is in the 3rd percentile and my son is small too, so i'm right there with you. my son can't have pb and my daughter won't eat it. i do whole wheat mini bagels with cream cheese, mac n cheese that i make myself, cheese quesadillas, beans, chicken, etc. the doc said just add extra butter to stuff...mine are also still on formula at almost two years old--the doc said they still need the extra calories. she did say that i could switch from formula to carnation instant breakfast with whole milk, so maybe you could get some of that for the extra calories. wish i could help more. mine seem to eat pretty well to me, and they definitely have energy, good sleep habits etc., so i try not to worry about it too much.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2009