Do you invite your kids friends siblings to a birthday party?

My son will be turing 7 next month. Im plannng on a nice birthday party for him and his friends (boys from his cubscout group and his 1st grade class). Its school policy to invite all the kids from the class now days which I dont mind because generally over half dont come. Overall, I should have close to 20 kids. We are going bowling, having pizza, cake, etc. We should be having lots of fun. I cant afford to invite the sibilings and pay for them and yet Im sure some of them will show up because the parent will show up and stick around along with the extra kids. How would you handle this? I could see inviting or allowing the others to participate in the party if he was younger. I have a budget of what Im able to spend and dont want to go over that and yet I want it to be known that Im not paying for the extra kids.

hevnlyangel24

Asked by hevnlyangel24 at 9:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• You dont have to invite the siblings & its RUDE on the parents part if they bring other kids & expect you to pay! Im sure if this does happen it will only be 1 family-- that likes to take advantage of some free cake & entertainment!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I would invite the kids in class, tell parents siblings are welcome to come but they will have to pay their own way. I would think parents would be understanding of that.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I would make everyone that brings and extra person to let you know before hand and make them pay for the difference
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 9:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• You don't have to invite siblings. This is for your son and HIS friends. If parents ask if they can bring siblings tell them you are trying to keep it small. It will get so chaotic with 20 kids plus siblings, that's crazy. Parents should understand the invitation is intended for the child it is addressed to.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I agree.... I don't think anyone should bring extra kids and expect you to pay. My son went to a friends bowling/pizza party last year. I called the bowling alley ahead of time and reserved a lane for me and my other 2 sons to bowl while we waited. I never expected them to be included in the party.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:15 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The rule is 1 guest for every year of the birthday child. If you son is turning 7 it would be 7 friends.
    As for the school policy - the school doesn't have to dictate to you on who should be invited to a party - especially if the party is being held on the weekend outside of school. To satisfy school, I would send cupcakes for an informal party at school. I couldn't imagine being told who I should invite to a party.
    Not including siblings, I wouldn't want to be held responsible for 20 plus kids if the parents decided to just drop them off and leave.
    I would then sit down with your son and ask him if he could choose 7 friends to come to a party who would they be. Contact the parents of those friends and invite them to a day of bowling and pizza in honor of your son's birthday.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 10:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• For our parties everyone is invited but that's just part of my culture.We don't exclude any family members which is why we rather have parties at home with tons of activities and food. That's pretty much all kids care about anyway,lol...

Anonymous

• I just had a party and went to one, both times did not include siblings. Last year when Moms came to stay, they brought siblings and I had to pay. I was annoyed. I didn't ask other Moms to stay much less have me pay for them. Proper etiquette should be regarded here, IMO. If it's addressed to "John" then John is the only one invited. If your child is insecure and needs Mom to be present, then Mom needs to pay for additional sibs.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I just had a party for my daughter who turned 9. We invited both 3rd grade classes and siblings. We did not go bowling or anything like that so there was no extra cost. We just had the party at our local Americal Legion. I agree with some of the others, let the parents know that siblings are welcome but they will need to pay for the extra child. I just hate the thought of kids being left out. I know if my daughter was invited to a party I would have no problem paying for my son to go as well. I am sure most parents are the same way. Have Fun and Happy Birthday to your son!
    jordanmarie2000

Answer by jordanmarie2000 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• We invite entire families to our daughters' birthday parties. I host them at home and plan crafts and activities that will entertain all the kids. A lot of the older siblings are more than willing to help with the activities and it's always good to have someone's older brother around to make sure the pinata breaks. My girls love interacting with all the guests and I love having the parents stay and have fun with their kids.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 1:43 AM on Mar. 27, 2009