What does "CIO" mean?

In reference to sleeping and co-sleeping? Neever heard of it before...i dont think.

Asked by 1LuckyMomx2 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It means cry it out. It means leaving a child alone in his or her crib and having them cry for long periods of time without acknowledgement.

Answer by roxy1stmommy at 11:19 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• CIO means crying it out. It is when you let baby cry him/herself to sleep. Some moms just let their baby cry it out cold turkey. Other moms will wait 5 minutes, go into babys room and comfort baby with words, no touching. Then leave. Then mom will repeat that process until baby goes to sleep. To each their own. I personally did not like it.

Answer by Lainee21106 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• CIO means Crying it out when your you let your baby just cry themselves to sleep... self soothe. I cannot do that but some moms swear by it.

Answer by lynn63042 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• cry it out. to me its necessary sometimes. but i don't go by the typical method of letting them cry until they fall asleep. sometimes they are crying for attention. so instead of picking him up, cuddling or babying him i will just talk to him while he's crying. like telling him that his crying isn't going to help, or he can't always have what he wants or something like that. generally he stops crying on his own.
    to some moms crying it out means letting their infant cry until they fall asleep which has its benefits and drawbacks as well. a benefit would be that it teaches the child to self soothe, and find their own ways to cope with their emotions. a drawback would be that you have to listen to a fussing child sometimes for hours before they finally give up and go to sleep or find something else to do.

Answer by rastafarimama at 1:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I believe in CIO as well. Crying it out, sometimes, has been the only way that I could get my son to go to sleep. If I tried holding him or rocking him, he would stimulate himself to stay awake.
    I don't have to implement it all the time, but there have been times that it was the only way to reach the goal, which was for him (and me, eventually) to get some rest.

Answer by kaseysmommy1003 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Not only is CIO not necessary, it can be damaging to your child. If a baby is only crying for attention, that is what they need. If you start out thier lives ignoring them when they want attention, you'll find that they do ANYTHING to get attention when they are older.

When babies stop crying after being left alone, it's because they have given up. They finally realize that mom isn't going to come to them, so what's the point? They ware themselves out, they are completely exahusted, and they realize that mom (in their own little mind) that mom doesn't care.

(babies think differntly than adults)

When you respond to your child, you let them know that you are there, everything is ok, and they feel more confident.

If you like, I can send you more information on the damaging effects of CIO. Feel free to send me a PM.

Answer by wearingyourbaby at 1:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I would have 2 agree w/ wearingyourbaby, studies show that when you actually comfort, hold & soothe your babies when they cry, later on as they grow up they become more independent & less clingy. When you let them cry it can create a detacthment, or cause them to have trust issues. My daughter's Pediatrician, & other Peds advice on CIO, have said that it is impossible to "spoil" them up to about 9 months maybe even longer. You just never know if they have a gas bubble caught in a uncomfortable place just like us adults, chest, under the ribs, or a tummy ache. I never let my daughter cry & she is considered well loved, not "spoiled". If it feels like you can get anything done holding your baby all the time, try the vaccum cleaner, it soothed my little one to sleep when I needed to use it. Babies do not like it when it is completely quiet, so try soft music, or an educational dvd & etc.

Answer by layasmommie777 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 29, 2008

• I am really on the fence with CIO
    My husband will put my daughter in another room and let her just wail, because I will go and hug her up. I hate to hear her cry. I bought a sling so that I can carry her around the house with me. But I can't do everything with her like that so I have to put her down in her cot, and she will carry on. It makes me crazy to hear her but she usually quiets down after a while.
    I just tell myself, "I know she knows I love her" and I move on.

Answer by sweetpea118 at 9:54 AM on May. 29, 2009