I'm allergic to all pain medicines. How will this effect birth?

A huge concern of mine is what to expect when I go into labor to give birth. I am about 4'10" and I weigh 99 pounds (now that i've gained weight due to the baby -mostly in my boobs haha!) I'm 21 years old and this is my first baby, I'm about 8 1/2 weeks and my first ultrasound is on April 7th. I've been on birth control since I was 15 so you could imagine the huge surprise! So what should I be prepared for going into labor knowing i'm unable to have any sort of pain medicine to help? Also, since I'm such a small woman what effect will that have in conjuction?? It's weighed heavily on my mind, and i've been having nightmares about it! Someone please help =) Thank you!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Start to prepare yourself to have a natural birth.. A water birth.. read up on it. Pain Meds are not a requirement to giving birth :) Find a natural birth class in your area (NOT at the hospital!) Look into getting a doula... Read Ina May Gaskins Guide to Childbirth. Join a Natural birthing group on CM, they will be able to give you ALOT of great resources & guide you.
    Try to educate yourself about giving birth & learn not to fear it!! Alot of pain has to do with fear! Learn to believe in your body, yourself & your baby! Tell yourself YOU CAN DO IT! Tell your baby he/she can do it as well! The more you prepare yourself to have a great wonderful birth, the better the chances are that will happen!
    You can do it momma!!!!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• WELL, ASK YOUR DOCTOR WHAT THAT MEANS.
    GO TO AN ALLERGIST AND MAKE SURE THAT YOU
    ARE ALLERGIC TO THE EPIDURAL NEEDLE.
    ASK IF THERE ARE ANY ALTERNATIVES.
    AND IF YOU REALLY ARE UNABLE TO HAVE ANY
    PAIN MEDICATION JUST PREPARE FOR SOME PAIN
    BUT FOR THE MOST PART THE PAIN ONLY
    LASTS A DAY AND THE REWARD IS A LIFETIME.
    bronxcouture

Answer by bronxcouture at 9:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Talk with your doctor and see if you can do a water birth ,my friend couldn't take pain meds so she did the water birth it was cool to watch and it was very calming for her, of course there will be pain you can't get away from it but I'm sure you'll be a trooper .. Good Luck ..
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I am unable to have an epidural, anesthesia, or any sort of pain medication. I am afraid the pain will be too much on my fragile, little body. Has anybody had to deliver without epidural or pain medicine and was as small as me?? I've talked to my doctor but he has not helped me rest easy about this.
    Anonymous

• I thought about water birth!! Honestly i've been in so much pain just with morning sickness every day all throughout the past 3 weeks that i haven't been able to enjoy this experience at all. Yet, i try to make light of the situation and i realize that all this pain WILL be worth it! =) The only thing that DOES help me with the morning sickness is taking a warm bath. Maybe that's a sign? Does anybody have any other ideas? Or know much about water birth?
    Anonymous

• If your body is "big enough" to carry a child to full term then you are big enough to give birth. If your Dr worried about your size he would have told you by now & would be talking about a c-section or something. Its like saying your breast are to small to breastfeed its just not true. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• thanks not at all, anonymous poster. I guess you can call me a liar, but my doctor told me that C-section is a LAST resort and that i cannot voluntarily opt for that. Being as small as I am, no my hips are not designed for childbirth (some women are like that YA KNOW) and we have to wait until i'm further along in my pregnancy to see how my hips respond to the growing baby. I'm only 8 1/2 weeks so i do not know YET if i am able to carry full term, thus my question of what to EXPECT. My mother died while giving childbirth to me because she was too small. I'm scared literally to death.
    Anonymous