What the heck is a "family bed"?

So I was over at the polls, and saw a thing on what kind of bed you sleep in. Several of the moms said they practice "family bed" or something like that. They said two queens pushed together.... so what, you all sleep together? I don't think I'm understanding....

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 9:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Plus I think co-sleeping is pretty different from this "family bed practice". Having your baby with you to make nursing easier isn't the same thing. Having a child bunk up because of a scary dream is different too. This isn't co-sleeping. It's FAMILY sleeping. Every child, every night. That's totally different. And pushing two queen beds together to accomodate the family is WAY different then letting your 2 year old cuddle after daddy goes to work. When you have 2-3 kids and you all go to bed by climbing into the SAME BED EVERY NIGHT... that's WAY different.I realize a lot of cultures do this- DH said it's normal in Iraq and in the middle east... however a lot of that has to do with keeping warm and lack of space in their home.
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 3:40 AM on Mar. 29, 2009

• Yes, family bed means you co-sleep with your kids.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I believe it is where everyone sleeps in one bed. Not for me, but works well for many families.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 9:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I think it's when the whole family sleeps together. I never had that.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 9:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• no thanks.... i do not want to share my bed with the kids.... when do you get your "grown up"
    time??
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• when do you get your "grown up" time??

I wonder that, too.

One of the big turn offs for our family sleeping in the same bed is we have a full size bed, and both of my kids inherited the "bed hog" gene from me...

Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 9:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I can see SOOOO many problems with that- what happens when little johnny wets the bed? We ALL have to get up, change the sheets, or sleep in the piss? What about mommy and daddy time? When do kids learn independence? How does it effect their development? What if I wanna sleep naked? How old are they when they STOP sleeping in your bed (you can't tell me it's healthy for a 16 year old boy to share a bed with his mother....)?
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 9:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I DON'T THINK I WOULD BE ABLE TO DEAL WITH MY KIDS IN BED WITH ME I WOULD GO INSANE!!! AND I THINK THE SEX PART WOULD BE TOUGH IF THE KIDS SLEEP WITH MOM AND DAD
    Anonymous

• I think parents need to teach children independence, imo a family bed doesn't...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 9:41 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• yea family bed is when everyone sleeps together.. we do co-sleep. every child & every family is diffrent. for us in our situation it is what works best for us.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009