Is my daughter getting enough sleep?

My almost 3 year old only sleeps about 8-9 hours a night and very rarely takes naps. I know most children this age sleep about 12 hours a day. I've heard that children who don't get enough sleep as toddlers are at risk for obesity later on. Is there a way to get a child to sleep more?

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 9:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Kids' Health

• She may just be someone who doesn't need a lot of sleep. Is she crabby during the day? My son slept about the same as your daughter at that age and he is no where near obese. He is a little runt. LOL!! You can see if she will rest for an hour everyday. Have her lay down and watch a movie or look at books on her bed. She doesn't get up until you tell her she can. My son is now 12 and he gets up better in the morning when he has about 8-9 hrs sleep. I really don't know of any other advice to give you. Sorry.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• You really cant unless she is just plum wore out.. Thats how long my son did at 3.. An he is fine.. Is she winey or anything that would make you think she needs more time?? If not i wouldnt worry.. Since Dude has started school he sleeps from 7pm-6:30am.. Sometimes he even gos to bed when JB does at 6:30pm...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 9:17 AM on Mar. 27, 2009