Any suggestions for Bunk Beds?

My boys are 18 mos and 3 years old. My oldest sleeps in a toddler bed and the youngest is still in a crib. When it's time for my youngest to switch to the toddler bed, I was thinking of just saving a step and getting bunk beds. Do you think my 3 year old (who will be about 4 I'm guessing, when I make the switch) is too young to be on the top bunk? Are there bunk beds out there that will work for younger kids? I'd rather not have to buy a twin for the older one, then get on a constant rotation of upgrading their beds for the rest of eternity. Any suggestions?

livn4hevn

Asked by livn4hevn at 9:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have the white bed you posted. Only i have it in wood.
    My soon to be three year old just switched to the top because he 'growed up' and we thought he was ready. I dont have 2 kids yet, but i knew i would, so i went ahead and got the bunk.

It is awesome! i love it. He is very safe up there. He even wakes up in the middle of the night when he pees. I was worried about midnight sleepwalking and potty trips, becuase he is groggy and has to descend stairs, but he is fine, because there is a handrail basically.

ALL of his clothes fit into the drawers very nicely.

The bottom bed slides out and can be moved to a different room when the kids want or need seperate rooms, and you can then fit a desk underneath the top bunk.

Awesome bed

We purchased a 6 inch mattress for the top bunk. That way there is enough of a lip on the top that if my son rolls over, he wont fall off. Just one more added security measure : )
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 8:00 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I got bunkbeds for my boys when the oldest was 4 his lil. bro was 2, just make sure it has the sides secure and you shouldn't have a problem.
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Some bunk beds come apart and become two twin beds. Another option would be putting the top mattress on the floor for a year or two.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 9:42 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• My son is seven next month- last week he fell off the top bunk and broke his arm. The ER dr said that they see a couple of bunk bed injuries every week. Our beds separate into two twin beds and I think we are going to split them up. I wish I had never bought them at all. I would at least buy bunks that can be separated into twin beds just in case the bunks don't work out. I would also recommend buying a really sturdy set, even if it costs more. We bought cheapies from Walmart and that contributed to my son's fall- the beds get slightly wonky unless we tighten the bolts pretty much daily. Just a bit of a cautionary tale... honestly I feel bad for buying the stupid things every time I see my son go by with his arm in a cast. :(
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:53 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• i would recomend a trundle bed!!! they're less likely to get hurt when they fall and you can push the one bed back under the other so they have more room to play... i personally dont trust bunk beds i've seen to many kids fall off and get hurt or bump their head on the ceiling and at 3yrs old or 4 when you get them its prolly not safe for him to climb down in the middle of the night to use the bathroom!!! with a trundle bed it will be easier on you and them..... heres the link for one if you dont know what they are!!! when my 11m old is old enough to be out of the crib this is what i'm going with, so him and my 3yr old will have more room to play! we are also getting one for my daughter so when my step daughter comes to visit or she has friends over they can sleep seperate but both in beds... hope it helps

http://www.justkidsbeds.com/Trundle-Beds-C30390.html
    chloeconnor

Answer by chloeconnor at 10:27 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• http://www.justkidsbeds.com/Berg-Furniture-22-905-XX-FX1021.html

This is a lot like what I was thinking.... Two beds, storage and not to high off the ground. I also like the fact that it has STAIRS not a ladder... I think that will prevent a lot of injuries!!!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 11:31 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Something like that would work well, I think!!!

We have bunk beds for our oldest two. Technically, they're supposed to be at least 6 to be on the top bunk, but my oldest has been on top since he was 4.

We have a set that is all one piece and they are SOLID. There is a staircase at the end (it IS the end of the set) and the very end has drawers. Like these, but without the drawers at the bottom:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SOLID-PINE-WOOD-STAIRCASE-TWIN-BUNK-BED-W%2f7-DRAWERS_W0QQitemZ200296939752QQcmdZViewItem

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:01 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• i think bunk beds are a great idea.
    just have the older boy sleep on top and have the younger on bottom.
    get a railing that is safe to surround the younger one so it wont fall off the bottom bunk and get hurt
    pattyfisher

Answer by pattyfisher at 7:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2009