america founded as a christian country?

I am curious to know how many people out there believe that this country was founded on Christian beliefs when our founding fathers made statements such as theseā€¦..

"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it."
John Adams

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man."
Thomas Jefferson

"Lighthouses are more useful than Churches"
Ben Franklin

Not trying to start a fight or be a "troll" I really curious to know what you think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i think that some think it was and some think it wasn't. i believe the latter.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 9:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I believe that it was. Why would the 10 commandments have been put into the lobby of the supreme court if it hadn't.
    Anonymous

• The US was settled by Puritans, who were Christians. However, if we adhered to Puritan beliefs, we'd all be sinners for enjoying sex, or having sex outside of procreation!

I believe the America as we know it today, was founded on the belief of separation of church and state. It is the cornerstone of why government should not intrude into private life. Private life is for expression of personal belief, and government is for implementation of policy for the overall good, based on the will of the people. For instance, we're all agreed that murdering someone in cold blood is bad, therefore government has created a law to prohibit the act. However, government cannot and should not intrude on how someone practices their religion, because that is a private matter. Of course, separation of church and state also imposes no encroachment of religion into government function.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 10:03 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• It's a common misconception that is perpetuated by churches and private schools. If I have heard it once, I've heard it a thousand times from a pulpit. . . This nation WAS CREATED a CHRISTIAN nation! *smacks the pulpit. . .

It is our job to RETURN IT to that place. Again, hits the pulpit. It's simply not true. I believe in the Bible, but I have yet to find a church that I can park my fat behind in and make it through an entire sermon without being entirely of another opinion.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:12 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Nope, only under revisionist history
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• well, to be fair, your quotes are rather biased. did you even TRY to find any founding fathers who said something POSITIVE about it?

as a PP mentioned, America was founded by Puritans, who were Christians. so whether or not you believe our GOVERNMENT was founded on it, our COUNTRY certainly was.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

Because the people who built it in 1935  decided that we were founded as a christian country not because we actually were!!!

Anonymous

yes actually I did and they did say some positive things about Christianity but none of them were religious men and if we were supposed to be founded as a christian nation then why didn't they put that in the constitution or the bill of rights?

Anonymous

• I believe that it was founded on freedom of religion by the people running away from the government mandated church in england...but the majority of those people were Christians.. so yes in a way.
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 10:32 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Our Country wasn't founded until the government was founded. Up until that time, all the states were separate and had their own laws. The Country was not founded by Puritans.

We have freedom of religion. Not freedom of Christian religion only. Due to the founding fathers that believed everyone had the right to worship or not as they choosed.

You can't equate the degradation of Morals in general to us being a Christian nation or not. Or the Churches contention that things aren't as they should be. If you read the Bible, the state of man turning away from God is clearly predicted.

remember, the moment our religion is supreme is simply the moment before someone else's is.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:33 PM on Mar. 26, 2009