what to do- fever, rapid pulse in 13 month old?

my 13 month old son is sick and i'm not sure what to do. his nose is stuffed and he has a fever. i also noticed his heart was racing before i put him down. as i nursed, i kept my fingers on his heart and did notice it slow a bit. he woke up a couple hours later and i just got done nursing him again. i took his temp and it's gone down; from 101 to 98. his heart was still beating fast, but not as fast as earlier. i don't have a watch w/a second hand, so i can't time out how many beats per minute. if he wakes up again, i might take him by the microwave so i can use it to count down seconds. any advice? i wish i still had one of those bulbs to suck out his nose. he can't breathe with his paci in, so he keeps waking up. poor guy. =(

pugmama

Asked by pugmama at 10:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Health

• You can give him fever reducer and use a humidifier. That's a low fever and your heart beats faster when running a fever. I would just make a call to the pedi as well to be sure.

Anonymous

• Try taking him in the bathroom with a steamy shower running to help clear out his nose. His heart might be racing a bit just because he is congested. As long as his fever stays down just keep him comfortable, and put a humidifier in his room if you have one.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Do you have a nurse line you can call? It's good his temp is down. I don't really have any usefull info, I wish I did. If you don't have a nurse line you can call, keep an eye on him, and get him to the doc in the morning. I hope he feels better soon! I know it sucks when kids are sick, especially when they are young. Oh, you can try to elevate his matress, so that he's not laying flat down. That may help some of the congestion. When 2 of mine were first born, they breathed in fluid. So they had problems with congestion. I'd elevate the end of the matress, or just put them in the carseat to sleep.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• The body increases the heart rate when you have a fever in hopes of trying to cool it down. I would go out and buy a bulb syringe. No one is going to sleep tonight unless you can unclog his nose. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:17 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• To bring his fever down, mop him with a washcloth and luke warm water.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:22 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• thanks gals... i'm going to elevate his mattress the next time he wakes. we just moved, so i don't have a nurse line. he's never seen his dr here and i don't even know where the dr office is, for that matter. i'm going to try to dig up a bulb syringe. i have to have one somewhere. and i have a humidifier, but it's currently running in his older brother's room. my 2 yr old needs white noise to sleep. if necessarry, i'll try to steal it from his brother to set up in his room. *sigh* i'm going to bed now to sleep as much as i can, while i can. thanks for the support! =)
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 10:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• You can also take him out on the front porch for cool air. It's supposed to restrict the capillaries which helps the stuffiness. Helps if it's raining too. But the pulse is due to fever. That said, 101 isn't that bad so I wouldn't worry. The discomfort in breathing is a pain though.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:37 PM on Mar. 26, 2009