protein in urine?

When I went to doctor the nurse told the doctor I had protein in my urine as well as something about white blood cells? What does that mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• White blood cells signal an infection and protein is usually a marker for pre-eclampsia. Is your blood pressure high? How far along are you?
    AudreyJ

Answer by AudreyJ at 10:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/urine_protein/test.html
    Anonymous

• I know I have blood pressure issues, but I assumed it was just low. I know my hands get really splotchy/red, and like all my veins in my hands/fingers start popping out horribly.
    29 weeks pregnant, plus some days.
    -O.P.
    Anonymous

• It could be that you'd had a kidney infection or UTI that your body fought off by itself (if you are not having symptoms). Usually when there is protein in the urine it means that something is going on with the kidney's filtration process...but if it's just a one time thing along with white blood cells (which fight infection)...you are probably ok. Next time you go to the doc, ask this same question. Good luck.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Yeah, I bet it's just an infection. If it was anything to be too worried about they would have talked to you more about it and told you what to do to fix it.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• protein in the urine is a little alarming because of a serious illness that can attack the woman's body during pregnancy called preeclampsia. I would go to web md or mayo clinic online guide and check out the warning signs. Also do you know if you did a urine test in the beginning that did a baseline urine test? I would become informed if you just google protein in urine you will get thousands of hits about preeclampsia. Is this your 1st pregnancy? You are at higher risk if it is. Also don't get scared. I had preeclampsia and you and the baby can make it fine but early detection is KEY please learn all you can and TALK to your doctor pronto it comes on strong and very suddenly sometimes in hours. Do you see flecks of light or get dizzy when you stand or if your hands or face swell go to the ER. Not to scare you but preeclampsia is the #1 killer of pregnant women because most women do not know the severity or signs

Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 3:16 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• sorry ran out of room. Also another problem is that there is no one test for preeclampsia so it is often hard to nail down. I don't want to alarm you and I am sure you'll be fine I just wish that more women knew about it. I had it and survived and you will to if this is what it turns out to be please feel free to join the preeclampsia group on momcafe it is so cool to know others who have been there. Also fyi if it is this talk to you spouse about what can happen like high blood presure or c-section so that way he does not freak out I think it is hard for the guys because they think they just have to hold your hand so if he know what to expect at least you will both be able to make informed discussions. Good luck to you. Also feel free to message me you like and we can chat about it more! Take care and no matter what happens enjoy it the days are long but the time flys!
    Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 3:28 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I know they do a urine test every time I go in, I also have anemia. This is my second pregnancy. I see black flecks sometimes, I do get dizzy, and I tend to pass out. (Doctors said it was probably from anemia though)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Have you been sick lately? I'm anemic too, so I understand the dizzy/spotty thing... but I had the flu a few weeks ago and between my iron supplements making me puke and not being able to eat anything, my body started running off of stored fat... and my Dr. said that sometimes you will get protein in your urine from your body having to go into your stored fat for energy. Did that make sense? Sorry, I'm not really all here today...
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Went back to doctor today. they gave me a different iron pill, something for heartburn. And said that I still have protein/white blood cells in urine. So I'm suppose to do a 24 hour urine collection thing and go back in next friday.
    My blood pressure is low, but according to my file, it's always low when they take my blood pressure.
    -O.P
    Anonymous