Would anyone of you Moms let someone breastfeed your baby?

I heard the other day that a Mom let a stranger breastfeed her baby because she did not have any milk in her. Yes it was nice for a person to do that but how does a Mom know if the person has any diseases to allow someone to breastfeed her baby.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That's very dangerous 4 the child, because u don't know if that person has STD's. The child can sometimes receive a very tiny amount of blood when breastfeeding bcuz of open skin. There's no way in hell I would ever let someone else breastfeed my child, not even a close friend cuz they may not even know if they have something
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 10:38 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• no in my opinion thats gross. i would just supplement with some formula
    Anonymous

• definately NOT a stranger..maybe a family member or very close friend i could trust.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• but i also agree thats kinda gross too
    tnteaton

• no, ewww
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• That is what you call a wet nurse. They were very prevalent before the invention of formula.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:20 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• A little strange...
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 10:21 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Only in a dire emergency. I would only breastfeed someone elses baby in a dire emergency as well. I think mothers need to provide for their children and should make sure they have enough of everything BEFORE they go out so that they do not put themselves OR other women in the situation of having to breast feed another person's child.

I believe that the human bond between mother and child is more than a calf-cow relationship. My nursing time is my bonding time with my son. My body tailor makes his milk specifically for his eating habits and needs at this specific stage in development. No one else is responsible for my child but me and I am responsible for my child. My milk belongs to him and I would only share it if there was no other way for another person's baby to be fed and vice versa. Not to mention, I am a bit of a germophobe too!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Only if it was life threatening otherwise no way.

Anonymous

• The instances that I have heard of "wet nursing" was the rich and royalty of the time could have their children fed without lowering themselves to do it themself. Instead a wet nurse had to continually get pregnant and give birth in order to feed her mistresses children, while her own children had to share their milk with another child due to heirarchy. Why some people think this is the dandiest thing is beyond me.
    Anonymous