does anyone feel like they are constantly saying no to their child all day long?

i have a 2 and a 3 year old, i feel like all day long i am telling them "no dont do that" or "no get off that" or " just no" is there any other way to tell them no with out
actually saying "no" all day long? i feel like all my kids hear is "no" and i hate that!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah, "no" is a tough habit to break, I've had to work on it myself.. but usually the reason you end up saying it so much is because you've said it too much... after awhile it starts to lose its effect. I would save the flat out "no"s for the really dangerous things they're doing. Try instead to redirect their behavior with a positive statement. Tell them what they SHOULD be doing, not what they shouldn't. Sometimes they don't care about pleasing you, but deep down they do want that. Show them how. I tried little experiments like seeing if I could go an hour without saying "no" (at least "no" in that kind of context). Once I broke it I had to start all over. Try asking them what they should be doing, too. Most likely they know the answer. You also have to pick your battles. The really unimportant things that annoy you don't have to be let go entirely, but you can find ways to distract them..suggest something they like
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I've been told that instead of telling your child "no" all day long to instead show them what they should be doing or can do instead. This way you give them an option. Also, you can just simply
    "redirect" their activity from something you don't want them to do to something you approve of.

Just a suggestion that I've found works for me. (But as with any toddler...sometimes nothing works and this is where patience comes in and remembering that this stage will also pass!)

Good luck!
    hazeleiz777

Answer by hazeleiz777 at 11:11 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I've found that even at 2 yrs, as long as I explain WHY he cant do that, what the consequences are, why its bad, etc., he understands somewhat. If I just say no, or dont do that, and he doesnt know why he's not allowed, then he'll just keep doing it. It takes a little longer, but after a while, they'll get it. But anyway, you're not alone! Even with the explanations, I still feel like I'm saying No all day long! But dont worry, the saying is it's all downhill from 2! (i've found it's usually more like 3 though!)
    Mum_of_4

Answer by Mum_of_4 at 11:56 PM on Mar. 26, 2009