does anyone have advice on homeschooling apreschooler????

missyanne_83

Asked by missyanne_83 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well I work at a daycare and we use flash cards of letters, animals, and numbers. They have cute pictures on them to things they can relate to. We also work on colors in work books and alphabet puzzles. They seem to work really well. We mainly have 2, 2 1/2, and almost 3 year olds and they are pretty smart at this point already.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 10:29 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Be very interactive in all your daily activities. There is no need to be formal about anything if you don't want to be. "Look, a bus. That starts with a B. Let's practice making the letters of the bus."
    Trinjo

Answer by Trinjo at 10:44 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Keep it fun. Keep it light. Here is a great site to use to introduce the alphabet:

letteroftheweek.com

Visit your local library often. Check for storytimes or toddler activities.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 10:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• www.LetterOfTheWeek.com is GREAT. For online games, try www.StarFall.com.

And happy1mom is right... keep it light, keep it fun. Don't get so focused on the alphabet and other "academic" things that you forget the joy of painting, playing in sand, helping to make dinner, learning to fold laundry, and all of the other "life skill" things that kids need to learn but we forget in the rush to cram ABC's into their heads.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• u know, sometimes, when you try to hard, kids end up resenting learning and reading, my daughter is 3, and can read small words, almost write her name, knows every color shape and number, and I never sat her down to a desk even once! I do it all through play, her IQ is that of a 5-6 yr old. maybe she is gifted, or maybe she just didnt struggle to learn becuz she enjoyed it and didnt feel bored.
    you should work on their personality at this age, rather that education, get your kid confident and always optimistic about life, even the down sides, be4 u know it, your kid will be flying in his/her learning skills....then again, some kids simply take longer than others, but that doesnt mean they are slower, just that they have different or unique interests, your job is to find out what your kid is good at, not what you WANT ur kid to be good at.....I hope my reply helped u even in a small way,
    anyway, ur kid is still young, no rush:)
    repenter86

Answer by repenter86 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 27, 2009