can anyone tell me the pros and cons on catholic school?

rosepetalluv

Asked by rosepetalluv at 10:57 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My kids attend Catholic schools and we gave it a lot of consideration. Not all Catholic schools are the same so it's important to visit the school, talk to the principal and teachers to see if the school has the academic and spiritual points you feel are important. (So you should figure out what is important to you about your child's education.)

The benefits for us included good academeics, good teacher retention, The educational philosophy of the school matched ours in the area of homework, study, discipline. The school has a good guidance program and religious education that includes attending Mass. Kids can pray and talk about Jesus without fear of 'offending' someone or being questioned or challenged. Most parents are involved and active in the school. It offered athletics and a band program. The biggest drawback for us was cost. But we think it's worth it.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:28 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I agree with the previous poster that you must visit the school to make the best decision. See if they have an event like a Curriculum Fair or Science Fair so you can even talk to parents and students.
    The biggest drawback is definitely the cost, and included in that is the fundraising. At our school, on top of tuition we also are required to raise $400 per child (maximum $800 per family). This means if we don't raise it we pay it ourselves. Some people choose not to sell the calendars and candy bars and just write a check for the $400.
    The pros of Catholic school are small class sizes, high academic standards and a faith based curriculum -- including daily prayer, Mass once a month, preparation for the sacraments.
    Ask about their discipline policy, their rate of acceptance to Catholic high schools, their standardized testing scores, as well as whatever other concerns you might have.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:18 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I don't know what they are like now but I went to Catholic school from K - 8 and I hated it. The school I went to was very strict, girls could not tuck their blouses in their skirts because it showed off our figures to the boys, their goal was to have all the boys become priests and all the girls become nuns and they would humiliate you all the time. One girl in our class had a halloween party, the whole class was invited, the school suspended our whole class for having a boy/girl party. My brother and his friend got suspended for going to the pizza hut after school to play video games because the girls volleyball team was there having a party.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 27, 2009