how can i pull thru with my husband deployment and my son asking for his dad?

Charlenerdrgz

Asked by Charlenerdrgz at 11:24 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• How old is your son?
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:25 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Keep him and yourself active. Email your hubby, send care packages. Let the lil one make things to send Dad.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:48 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• If your son is asking for Dad he is old enough to be part of the process. Talk to him about Dad everyday. Excplain that he has a very important job to do. Let him know Dadddy would rather be home with him too, but right now he can't and it isn't his choice. Tell him Daddy misses him too..why don't we make something for him. Take silly pictures, Make a card or drawing. Help your son make a countdown chart..each day he marks off. Kids are more resilient than we give them credit for. I raised my sons every day of their lives until they left home as active duty Navy kids. My DH was out to sea, deployed or in the field with the Marines more than he was home for many years. Before Dad left he would tape himself reading their favorite stories, he would also tape them a few special tapes for holidays, birthdays, down days too. Does Dad have email access...let him send him a note on email. You can do this,you can help him thru this too
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:49 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• To get through this deployment, you need support. Starting with G-O-D. You need people to talk to (family, other military wives). It really helps talking to someone in the same boat. As far as your son, you can tell him that Daddy is doing a very important job, one to be proud of, and that Mommy misses him too. You can have him draw pictures or write in a journal to let Dad know what is going on in life here in the states. You need to make sure that he knows that Daddy loves him and will be back as soon as his job is done. My kids found comfort in praying for their dad every night and meal time and making him things. You two will adjust, and I promise it gets easier. I recommend you stay alert to his feelings, but maintain discipline (you don't want a wild thing when Dad comes home). And always PICTURES! I don't know how old he is, but he needs to recognize Dad. Even if he's older he'll find comfort in seeing him.
    Tiffa-Knee

Answer by Tiffa-Knee at 11:55 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I have no advice but I had a friend in the Navy and when he was out to sea, if his wife saw a rainbow she would tell the kids that at the end of the rainbow that was where their daddy's ship was. I thought that was cute.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 27, 2009