walking

My son turned a year on the 18 of march,and is just begining to pull himself up on things but will never get right to his feet and sometimes seems scared to go back down onto his hands, also when I hold his hands to walk him around the house which I do every day, he does not bend his knees he basically walks like a tin soldier?????? just wondering if this has happened to anyone else or any suggestions?????? Also I might add he was 2 mths early so I don't know if this has and bearing or not but really just looking for positive answers no negativity please!!!!

GaijesMom

Asked by GaijesMom at 11:34 PM on Mar. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was three weeks early and walked between my husband and I (about two feet) at 12 months old. He actually sort of lurched forward! It was amazing how fast after that accomplishment he started walking on his own, though.

Your little one is a bit behind because of the two months early. But, it sounds like if her were 10 months old, he'd be right on target. Look at it that way.

P.S. Take lots of pictures/video...the transformation is very quick.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:40 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Ahhh thanks so nice to hear a little bit of nice info once in awhile, I have some very good friends that have babies just a little younger and they are always comparing and saying how much theres do more than mine and it's not fun all the time....but thank you, I guess I should always go back to every baby is different right!!!!
    GaijesMom

Answer by GaijesMom at 11:47 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Since he was born two months early, when you look at developmental charts, you need to look at the 10 month old charts, not the 12 month charts.
    He sounds fine for either age though. Most babies walk with locked knees to start with and most walk around 12 months (2 months from now for your little guy). But it's not considered delayed until 16 months - 6 months from now for you.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-7-to-12-months_1496587.bc
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• The range of normal is pretty wide. I compare my son with other kids his age also and know I shouldn't! Just natural.

A good book that answers a lot of questions for me is called Toddler411. They also put out a book called Baby411 that I am so glad I read. Google them if you're interested.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Thanks lot for answering positively that means alot and all of your ifo I'm sure will help in someways
    GaijesMom

Answer by GaijesMom at 12:50 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My son didn't walk unti he was 14 months old. My friends dd didn't walk until she was 18 months. She asked the doc and he said she just wasn't ready. She is now 4 and completely healthy. 12 months, is just a average age. Alot of babaies don't walk that soon and some even walk @ 6 months. They are all different. Even kids w/ the same DNA. Mine were 12 months, 9 months, 14 months and 10 months. Don't stress Momma he will be fine. All that you are describing sounds normal.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 12:53 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Since he is more like a 10 month old, he is doing fine. Some kids walk early, some late.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 27, 2009