what can a stick thin 12yo girl do re: being picked on..

my relative was such a sweet beautiful light in my life but after going to school in 5th grade, she is experiencing being degraded by her weight and who knows what else. She is no longer that smiling curious loving girl. If this is what school does to sweet innocence my child will not be going. And what kind of kids treat others this way. Harrassment is clearly learned at a young age, and this causing worthless and destructive effects on already fragile minds, who may experience difficult times in their home lives. I don't get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• It's tough, whereever you go. It's not just public school either. You just have to be there to listen and respond. If she is having issues, I would strongly suggest you take her out and try to school her at home. Otherwise, try to have her switch schools. I don't believe kids should have to deal with that type of stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Kids now a days can be such jerks. Parents aren't stepping forward and standing up for what is right. They are not teaching their children respect, empathy, or compassion. I am sorry that she is going through this. She can tell the teacher, principal, or counselor. They should do something about it. If your or her mom need to go in, or call, and talk to someone in her school then please do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Martial arts.

It will build her body and mind.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:13 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I'd talk to the teacher, etc. They may be able to intercept some of the behaviour, and also spend some time on teaching respect.
    Also yes, sports are a good idea, as well as trying to get her to build friendships with some of the kids who she likes - invite them over, etc. Maybe she can find friends that will comfort her, and maybe even stick up for her.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 3:45 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Go out and find some old Rodney Dangerfield performances so she can learn how to insult someone properly.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:20 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• hmm nature or nurture???i am thinking nurture,these kids are getting it from home.my daughter is going through the same thing.and you know somekids you try to teach them to be tough and stand up for them selves but they just wont.get her into a sport or club to build her confidence...
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• First I would approach the teacher. This behavior is bullying and is not tollerated. Seocondly, I would teach my daughter what the word ignorance means. Her comeback to those rude kids could be," I May be skinny but you are rude and ignorant. For that I feel bad for you. If you don't know what the word ignorant means, then you are not smart either. " If she stands up to people, then they will back off. Also, you need to teach her that there are people in the world who feel the need to blow out the candle of others so that theirs seem to shine brighter but in effect, their cndle just looks small. teach ehr what the meaning of that is. Also, that people who feel bad about themselves, put others down to try and make themselves feel better. These type of people are not friends, that your girl should feel sad for them and find others who have her back. Ugly is to the bone!
    NJMOMOF2

Answer by NJMOMOF2 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I think if she goes to the teacher and complains about this picking and abuse from other students the girl will get more abuse. If she would stand up to these girls or boys and tell them,no one is perfect but one man.Tell her to be proud the way God made her and one day this will be proved. If the nagging continues just tell them,you're right I have a long way to go and I will succeed. Tell her to hold her head high and don't let this interfer with her learning abilities.Judyplove
    judyplove

Answer by judyplove at 7:56 PM on Mar. 27, 2009