How can I get my soon to bo 4 year old to poop on the potty????!!

My three year old son has a problem pooping on the toilet. He pees just dosen't poop. I have a seven year old, trained him in one week no problems not one. I don't know what to do. He says it's hard to poop in the potty. I have tried everything; bribery, encouragment, slight discipline, large priasing and nothing will get him to poop in the toilet. I'm becoming very concerned. I can't get him into a preschool w/o this skill. I know that he understands what he needs to do, he ust dosen't do it. He says he's sorry when he does it so I feel bad, I just don't know how I could get this done. PLEASE HELP, if you can. Thanks

whitbey3

Asked by whitbey3 at 12:16 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• First off, make sure he isn't constipated. For some reason little ones confuse the potty poop being harder to do than diaper poop if they are constipated.

Next thing I've read is to make it seem like they are doing you a favor by not being potty trained. (Reverse psychology)

One mommy described in Parenting Magazine said her child wouldn't go on the potty. She finally told him the pirates from the Pirates of the Caribbean called and wanted him to be a pirate, but they were only taking potty trained boys. She said she was sure glad he wasn't potty trained because she didn't want him to be a pirate. It didn't take long after that!

Maybe try something like the reverse psychology that mom used?
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:23 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My girlfriend recently told me that her son was spooked out of pooping on potty do to having constipation once early in the potty training. She waited with pullups until he was ready and said it took until just before fifth birthday,a daycare provider was fine with this. I don't think you need to do this,but I do believe punishing and bribing may delay him also. Since too much pressure usually backfires when it comes to most kids. I have heard cats getting spooked the same way. The cat cure was a new litter box and/or a new location. If he is experiencing painful poo, he maybe wanting to sqeeze butt cheeks together, more liquds and fruits, may help. My kids like to look at books while they wait for all the poop to eliminate, perhaps your boy is too bored to wait for all the poo.
    undercovermomma

Answer by undercovermomma at 12:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• You can go old school rug rats on him and tell him that the potty monster either needs his help because he's hungry.. or that he's angry because he's hungry... so just decide if the potty is grateful or if your kid will feel like he has to or something bad would happen.. or get a little training seat to put over the toilet seat.. maybe its to big.. or ask him why its hard and try to figure it out more
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:37 AM on Mar. 27, 2009