my one yr old has a cough,and since now they dont prescribe meds what can i do?????itts like he has alot of phlem.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Who doesn't prescribe meds?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My 2 younger kids were just diagnosed with Bronchitis and their only symptoms were a cough and a lot of phlegm. My older daughter had strep too.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 12:36 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• the dr now for kids under 5
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Hey my son just got through brochitis and pnemonia and he was on atibiotics (because of the pnemonia) but you are right they do not prescribe anything nowadays for anyone under 4, what worked for for me for the phelm and not breathing properly was elevate the head of the bed and get a humidifyer hot or cold with no additives just the air this worked wonders but you should eleviate the head of there bed as not to cause the mucus to settle in there lungs and helps them to breath better, one of the main causes of pnemonia (mucus settling on the lungs) and all the info I am telling you now is from my dr 2 days ago. also if you have a telehealth nurse give that a call the number I use is 1-866-553-7205 or 1-866-797-0000
    GaijesMom

Answer by GaijesMom at 1:04 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• OK so that whole not prescribing cough meds to children in my opinion is BS. i talked to a pharmacist and he said the only reason they stopped prescribing them was because parents overdose their kids. not on purpose, but they think that giving the kids more meds will get them better faster. so when my son had a cough i went to my local drug store, talked to the pharmacist and he recommended something.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 2:05 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Humidifiers all over the house seem to be helping my nephew. He actually stopped breathing quite a few times because the flem got so compacted in his lungs. My sister took him to the ER and they said they couldn't do anyghing for her. So she just bought a few more humidifiers and has been running them non stop. she said he hasn't stopped breathing ever since she did this. You can get a vicks humidifiers for like $10 at walmart.
    Clarkebar2

Answer by Clarkebar2 at 2:22 AM on Mar. 27, 2009