HS Senior LO took moms pills and survived

all because of a GF and rumor of talking to another boy. His parents are not very stable but not really bad either, both work same steady job since tots, but like many -don't love their work. They were divorced when kids were tiny. Neither parent seems to have a hobby other than going out drinking w/friends more often than should up until recent years. No one around him is spiritual (I've been away few years til now). He was kinda spoiled and happy, friendly, and continues to be athletic. Video game wiz. I have empathy from my own history, but honestly don't know what to think; how to help; or how to advise his dad. Does anyone have recent experience. He seems impulsive, emotional, not as focused as should be (grades aren't great-though he was always smart). All his energy seems to be on this girl. As we all know-young love is wishy washy and experimental. How can he be taught this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I personally do not understand your abbreviations and have no idea of what your asking. Not being rude.........being honest.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:07 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I'm afraid I have to agree with mistynights. the question is all over the place and makes no sense. What exactly are you asking? If it's just about the drama of first love, it happens. My grandson wanted to kill himself over a break up with a long time gf. It was a touchy time and we didn't know if talking would push him over the edge but I figured if he was determined to kill himself then there was nothing I could do to stop it so I went for it. We talked and he got a lot of it off his chest. I got him to talk about other girls he had been interested in over the years and made him wonder if they rocked. They need a diversion. Other girls was the only thing I could think of at the time. Maybe dad can take him fishing or camping or do guy stuff and just bond to get him distracted so he can think of things other than her. Jealousy is an ugly thing but unfortunately it's his issue and he has to work through it maybe with dad

Answer by admckenzie at 1:29 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Sounds like there is more going on than just the girl. He's probably a habitual drug user and the parents aren't aware of it yet. Most teens don't just think one day, "I'm going to take a shitload of pills" and rarely do they think they will die. If this is the parent, I'm sorry for saying that, but it's true. Have the parents tried talking to him about it? Has he sought psychiatric help? Therapy works wonders. I am not a "happy pill" condoner though. My parents had me on those for a while and they made me so manic I thought my head was going to explode. And my best friend took Prozac and tried to kill herself almost daily. Scary shit.

I had many "suicide attempts" as a teenager and very few of them were serious. They were a lot of attention getting tactics. Some worked, some didn't. Try talking (althought most teen boys wont want to) or seeking professional help. If he went to the hospital for the OD, he likely already is.
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 11:18 PM on Mar. 27, 2009

• mommy that was my thought too. he was in hospital, close call. what do yiu mean
    "he already is"??? thx alot of ur words are what i feel, but now u do have me more concerned by way of habitual drug user. what is it that i can do or tell his dad to do?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Mar. 28, 2009

• oops.. im a relative
    Anonymous

• Sorry to take so long to get back on here. I meant he is probably being FROCED to see a professional BECAUSE of the overdose. It's usually required when there is a possible suicide attempt involved.
    MommyHess

Answer by MommyHess at 9:16 PM on Apr. 19, 2009