photography-legal business aspect, need help

Again, many of you know I am into photography and starting my own business. I need some help with the legal part of it. I live in California and was hoping someone would know where I need to start as far as figuring out the taxes(irs), paying myself out, the business license...and so on. I have a fine idea of what I need but nothing exact enough. I am covering my butt with contracts currently but I want this as legal and solid as possible. HELP...do you know of any websites or people I should be looking into? Thanks ladies!

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:40 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• no i don't but my husband and i are trying to do the same thing up in oregon.. if you have any advice or information on it let me know
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• cont. i didn't mean to hide myself ;)
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:27 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• You in photography career too? You should add me we can exchange ideas and tips!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:58 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• My dad was a photographer and let me tell you..it is very important to get all clients to sign contracts. Even with those contracts, they will try to get out of them at the drop of a hat for whatever reason. "Our hair wasn't right". One of brides my dad did photos for refused to pay the rest after she didn't like the way her hair was styled. Dad won that one because as he told the judge, HE did not do her hair and should not be penilized for it.
    Make your contract state that it is fulfilled upon delivery of photos. NOT based on photo's quality or if you did or didn't get a picture of Great Aunt Edna. Dad did do a lot of weddings, but his love was technical photography. Make sure if you do business for an advertiser that you get paid even if they LOSE the client. CYA.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 AM on Mar. 27, 2009