RL not CM - do you tell what you really think about a baby name?

I found out today that a friend and his SO have settled on a name for their almost here son, and was asked what I thought. I thought it was ridiculous and guaranteed to get the kid teased at least once a day. I hedged and said it was different, then quickly changed the subject to how the baby's room was coming along. Now I wonder if that's what everyone has done, and they think they found this wonderful name that's not so much. If it's a friend (not sibling, etc) do you smile and nod or tell em what you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Mar. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I will usually just smile and nod. I wish people would remember that kids can be cruel when naming their kids these outlandish names with rediculous spellings.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:07 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• If I don't like it, it's not my business unless they ask if I like it. Then I would tell them I don''t really care for it, but it's not my kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Well... I would tell them the truth. I would tell them that ppl may make fun of it and tell them how. But I think my kids have different names, so I have no room to talk really.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 1:11 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• i was a bully in middle school & can come up w. the most likely tease for any name pretty quick. i just cant help but let them know what it is...once ive been asked of course. its not a talent im proud of...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:34 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• I was teased mercilessly for both my first name and my last! So, I would definitely tell the truth IF I was asked for my opinion. Its really hard to come up with names that aren't easily ridiculed. I named my daughter Isobella Paige, and for some reason people think I named her after the main character in the Twilight books.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Mar. 27, 2009

• Friend or family? I would tell the truth. Stranger or acquaintance? Probably say something like "How unique" or something...but wouldn't be completely honest probably. If asked my opinion, however, would probably say "It's not my style" or "I wouldn't use it" and then say why....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:05 AM on Mar. 27, 2009